Bolens Chipper/Shredder won't start....

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
according to Jacks - 34443D
take a close look at yours and the flywheel to be sure iron filings aren't shorting it out or the kill terminal.

RustyDGT6000

Threads
may not help even if it measures right, the secondary may be jumping a small gap between wires internally and not actually shorted as you think of it. Was the air gap clean and correct? I have heard of filings getting picked up over time and shorting the air gap out as to proper magnetism.
Good point. The magnet looks pretty rusty and could use a good brushing. As for the gap, i'm not sure what the proper size is supposed to be. My Pepere taught me just to use a piece of paper folded in half... its worked on every B and S engine i've worked on so far!! ?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think it is .010" I use a special brass sheet but some folks just use a business card.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good point. The magnet looks pretty rusty and could use a good brushing. As for the gap, i'm not sure what the proper size is supposed to be. My Pepere taught me just to use a piece of paper folded in half... its worked on every B and S engine i've worked on so far!! ?
Leave the magnet alone
The rust makes no difference unless it is thick enough to touch the coil as it passes.
Wire brushing magnets is not good for them
If it was a problem they would be painted at the factory .

RustyDGT6000

Threads
Sorry for the late update. Amazon delivery took a while and I've been busy but I threw the new coil on yesterday and it fired up no problem!!!

Thanks for all of your help everyone and see you next time!!

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
super that it worked out. Figure out how many hours/years etc are on the unit and what the odds are you will keep it that same length of time. If that sounds reasonable buy a spare coil while you can. Example - if it is 5 years old and you think you will have it in 5 more years get a spare coil. If it is 18 years old and you don't see it with you in 18 more years then don't worry about it.