Blue Smoke and Oil Present On And Under Engine

ChrisS42

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a pretty new Husqvarna TS142 with an 18.5-HP, 540-cc Briggs and Stratton Endurance Series V-Twin which I bought in January. Yesterday, as I was mowing, blue smoke started coming out the front and when I checked under the hood, I saw oil present on and under the engine. I am guessing that it blew the head gasket. The engine still runs and starts fine so I assume there is no other damage. It is still under warranty, but I did not get an extended protection plan, so getting it transported to and from a repair facility will likely cost a lot more than a new gasket and the time it takes me to replace the gasket. I understand this is not a particularly complicated repair. My question before I undertake this however is whether or not there are other possibilities I might not be considering and should I be looking at anything else on this. Also, is there anyway for me to verify this before I begin my efforts. It's a bit messy under there right now and it's not readily apparent where the oil is actually coming from. Is there anywhere else the oil could be coming from aside from the head?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The head gasket normally blows between the cylinder and the push rod cavity. Not common to have external oil leak from head gasket at least of briggs. Could be valve cover gasket/rtv sealant leaking. Could be other things that would cause oil leaks. Need to either transport to the dealer and let them warranty it, or make sure where the oil is coming from before attempting to just guess.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Rare and never heard of but does this have an oil filter? Maybe getting loose or fell off?

So you spent thousands on a mower and can't afford the trip back for warranty work? Not to be mean at all. Just doesn't compute to me.

Again trying to be civil slash helpful, why not get an old fashioned push mower? No self propel at all? No belts to worry about. Much smaller and lighter than a rider. Much much cheaper to purchase. Can load it in most car trunks.

You can do when we do. Get two or more and make it a family experience. "His" and "hers" push mowers, SO ROMANTIC. Not to mention the exercise we all need.
1.jpg

slomo

ChrisS42

Forum Newbie
Threads
The head gasket normally blows between the cylinder and the push rod cavity. Not common to have external oil leak from head gasket at least of briggs. Could be valve cover gasket/rtv sealant leaking. Could be other things that would cause oil leaks. Need to either transport to the dealer and let them warranty it, or make sure where the oil is coming from before attempting to just guess.
Thanks. I went ahead and scheduled to have it picked up.

I've had two other Husqvarnas, both with Inteks, one single cylinder and a v-twin both of which were trouble free for years. I went with this one because the Endurance was supposed to be a step up from the Inteks but so far I have to say I had a better experience with the Inteks.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks. I went ahead and scheduled to have it picked up.

I've had two other Husqvarnas, both with Inteks, one single cylinder and a v-twin both of which were trouble free for years. I went with this one because the Endurance was supposed to be a step up from the Inteks but so far I have to say I had a better experience with the Inteks.
Just hope it's an easy fix and you get her back on the turf in no time.

slomo

ChrisS42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rare and never heard of but does this have an oil filter? Maybe getting loose or fell off?

So you spent thousands on a mower and can't afford the trip back for warranty work? Not to be mean at all. Just doesn't compute to me.

Again trying to be civil slash helpful, why not get an old fashioned push mower? No self propel at all? No belts to worry about. Much smaller and lighter than a rider. Much much cheaper to purchase. Can load it in most car trunks.

You can do when we do. Get two or more and make it a family experience. "His" and "hers" push mowers, SO ROMANTIC. Not to mention the exercise we all need.
View attachment 56712

slomo
I did go ahead and schedule the pick up. Not that I'm cheap, but the gasket seemed like a simple and less expensive fix but I'm no mechanic and as the other poster mentioned, the issue probably isn't as clear cut as I was thinking. I did finish what remained of my yard with my push mower yesterday, but with nearly two acres to mow, I'm anxious to have the riding mower back as soon as possible.