Blow Away Constant or ...

Hershey

Threads
I am not in the snow, but with all of your talk about having to shove and move the snow, I am curious. Do you make constant trips outside to keep your driveway and walkways clear or do you let it build up and just make one long clean up job out of it?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am not in the snow, but with all of your talk about having to shove and move the snow, I am curious. Do you make constant trips outside to keep your driveway and walkways clear or do you let it build up and just make one long clean up job out of it?

Depends a lot on how heavy the initial snowfall is and if more is forecast, if you let it build up and the wind keeps drifiting it deeper, if you didn't start soon enough it becomes a real chore. The last heavy snowfall we had began late afternoon, the temperature steadily dropped as the wind picked up, and 24 hours later there were 7 inches of new snow with drifts as deep as 3 feet. Those without a heavy duty snow removal toy might have found it overwhelming, I went out later that night and removed a lot of the drifts, had I waited, they would have been deeper and packed harder.

Best to do it in stages, IMO. That is, if you have time.

indypower

Threads
Yep. It depends on how much snow and what type of snow. Heavy wet snow needs to be moved (shoveled, snowblowed, plowed) as soon as you can because when it freezes, it is extremely tough to move. Lighter dryer snow can wait longer. But if you want to go to work in the morning, the snow has to be moved to get the car out of the driveway.

Ron H

Threads
I'm with Indypower and JDgreen. I plow snow on an "as needed" basis.

If there is a lot of snow, I'll clear it when it gets to over about 5-6 inches, even if it's still snowing. Then I'll plow again either when it quits or starts getting deep again. If it's only a few inches, I wait until it stops snowing.

I use a snow blade on my Craftsman lawn tractor and it works OK on the dry powder. The problem with the snow blade is that when the snow starts getting deep, there is no pace to push it. We have had a lot more snow than normal this year and a lot more heavy wet snow than usual. I have a snowblower attachment on order that should be here in about a week.

I normally plow the sidewalks on my entire city block and most of the block across the street for a total of about 12 sidewalks. I also do most of the driveway approaches since my street is designated a state highway, the road is plowed by the State plows, and those guys have a real knack for plugging a driveway, usually about 10 minutes after I finish plowing.

monica123

Threads
The light snow blows around far more than the heavy wet stuff. Once you get it wet and in piles, it tends to not move anymore.

JasonB

Threads
Hi

In my opnion it all depends, some of my customers want their laneways blown out frequently and others prefer to wait until a big storm pass's. If we do get a mild spell and the snow plow pushs slush into the driveway, I usually blow it before it freezes again or gets driven over and packed down, making it hardier to blow.

Take Care Jason B

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
When I lived in New York, we would always let the driveway pile up. Walkways, I would try to keep up with otherwise it would be a back-breaking job once it piled up. I also was a frequent user of rock salt to keep things manageable, especially at our office where we wanted to keep things clear to avoid people slipping while walking on the sidewalk in front. :frown: