Blades

pcclipper

Threads
Where do you buy your blades?
Are generics as good or better than oem?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Where do you buy your blades? Are generics as good or better than oem?

It depends on the mower you have and what brand aftermarket blades you buy.
And what you want the blade to do.

On my toro and snappers I use oem for high lift blades. For mulching I use gator blades.

Nwatson99

Threads
I do not buy non oem blades and I have read on other sites that the generics are not as strong nor do they hold up like the Deere blades, but the generic blades most favored are the G6 blades.
I mow between 10 to 12 acres per week and now the grass we have sown is coming up finally it is pretty much 12 acres and could be a little more than that now and I do not have to sharpen my blades but once per month "I only use a ceramic wheel on my 4" metabo and really just have to polish, remove a burr here or there, and sometimes a nick or two".
Yes I hit all kinds of small sticks and limbs from the trees and my JD just mulches them to nothing and rolls on.
Here is a link to the cheapest JD blades I have found online, get the size of your blades and cross them over to the JD blades and give them a try, I run the high lift blades and these darn things are tanks, most other blades feels like it will take two or three to make the one blade I run on my machine.
GreenMowerBlades.com - Genuine John Deere Lawn Mower Blades for Less!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I do not buy non oem blades and I have read on other sites that the generics are not as strong nor do they hold up like the Deere blades, but the generic blades most favored are the G6 blades. I mow between 10 to 12 acres per week and now the grass we have sown is coming up finally it is pretty much 12 acres and could be a little more than that now and I do not have to sharpen my blades but once per month "I only use a ceramic wheel on my 4" metabo and really just have to polish, remove a burr here or there, and sometimes a nick or two". Yes I hit all kinds of small sticks and limbs from the trees and my JD just mulches them to nothing and rolls on. Here is a link to the cheapest JD blades I have found online, get the size of your blades and cross them over to the JD blades and give them a try, I run the high lift blades and these darn things are tanks, most other blades feels like it will take two or three to make the one blade I run on my machine. GreenMowerBlades.com - Genuine John Deere Lawn Mower Blades for Less!

I will agree JD blades are still made good.

I can run the G6 on my snapper but the toro will not handle them.

Nwatson99

Threads
I will agree JD blades are still made good.

I can run the G6 on my snapper but the toro will not handle them.

Oh really one works fine with them and one does not, what do you think the problem or reasoning is?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oh really one works fine with them and one does not, what do you think the problem or reasoning is?

The snapper is a heavy duty commercial mower.

The toro is a timecutter z480

Does not have the blade speed to handle the G6 blades. And the spindles fail to fast with the extra weight.