Blades wont stay engaged

Powellj

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a MTD Yardman, and the blades won't stay engaged. Mower runs fine, and has plenty of power. When I engage the blades everything works as it should until I start moving, then the blades will start losing power and then stop all together. If I stop, and wait a few seconds the blades will start working again until I start moving again.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Model number please but I suspect you have a manual engage PTO with a 46" deck.

Powellj

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a MTD Yardman, and the blades won't stay engaged. Mower runs fine, and has plenty of power. When I engage the blades everything works as it should until I start moving, then the blades will start losing power and then stop all together. If I stop, and wait a few seconds the blades will start working again until I start moving again.
Model number 13A604G755. It's a 42 inch but you're right it is a Manuel PTO. I've have tried a few things, so any advice is appreciated. Trying to keep from taking it to the shop, but am about to give up.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
13AT604G755, Appear you left out the "T" in the model number. IF the number I got post is correct then you have a 2004 mower.

That is one of the more picky versions of the MTD mower PTO wise.

First verify the belts are in good condition and are the following specs.

Primary PTO belt 1/2" x 60"
Secondary PTO belt 1/2" x 66-1/2"

From you got to check binding of the engagement components.

Powellj

Forum Newbie
Threads
13AT604G755, Appear you left out the "T" in the model number. IF the number I got post is correct then you have a 2004 mower.

That is one of the more picky versions of the MTD mower PTO wise.

First verify the belts are in good condition and are the following specs.

Primary PTO belt 1/2" x 60"
Secondary PTO belt 1/2" x 66-1/2"

From you got to check binding of the engagement components.
Thanks for the advice, th e belts are good. I replaced them just in case. I also had to replace the two springs on the deck. Maybe I should have said this sooner but I put it on blocks, engaged the pto and gave it gas and it worked fine, but as soon as I took it off the blocks and it tried to mow it stops again. I'll check the engagement next.

Powellj

Forum Newbie
Threads
I may have said the following already, but can't tell if it went through or not so just in case, here you go.i should have said this sooner but I put it on blocks, engaged the pto and gave it gas and it worked fine, but as soon as I took it off the blocks and it tried to mow it stops again. Don't know if that info will help or not. I replace d the belts and the springs On the deck.I'll check the engagement next
thanks again,
James.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You may also have worn pulleys. You will also need to determine which of the two belts that is slipping. As the belts being new doesn't mean they are the correct length. I went through a lot problems with after markets that last few years where they were label to be the correct size but in fact they weren't.

Powellj

Forum Newbie
Threads
You may also have worn pulleys. You will also need to determine which of the two belts that is slipping. As the belts being new doesn't mean they are the correct length. I went through a lot problems with after markets that last few years where they were label to be the correct size but in fact they weren't.
I may have said the following already, but can't tell if it went through or not so just in case, here you go.i should have said this sooner but I put it on blocks, engaged the pto and gave it gas and it worked fine, but as soon as I took it off the blocks and it tried to mow it stops again. Don't know if that info will help or not. I replace d the belts and the springs On the deck.I'll check the engagement next
thanks again,
James.
You may also have worn pulleys. You will also need to determine which of the two belts that is slipping. As the belts being new doesn't mean they are the correct length. I went through a lot problems with after markets that last few years where they were label to be the correct size but in fact they weren't.I

I think it may be a pulley but I don't know for sure because it stays engaged when I have it on blocks. when I'm mowing and it stops by the time I get off and look under its running again. I probably look like the 3 stopped out there.

Per Hansen

Forum Newbie
Threads
The star on the blade shafts could be worn away. Try to see if you can turn the blade holding on to the engaged pulley