Blades still want to turn, not safe!

Kghanna

Forum Newbie
Threads
Music is chopper does the same thing

Jaxondaweb

Threads
There has to be something wrong with the clutch. That pulley should not turn if the switch is off. Something is causing the pulley to Turn when when the clutch is turned off. Could be debris of some form.

Jaxondaweb

Threads
If the electric clutch switch is not on the blades should not turn at all. Either the clutch needs changing or there is some kind of debris that is interfering with the pump pulley and the belt pulley.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
2005 X2503 60" Dixie Chopper has a manual blade engage lever not an electric PTO. I have worked on this problem for about 14 years. In conclusion I think the problem has to do with wear in the holes in the deck hanger pin holes allowing the deck to swing from side to side thus changing the tension on the belt. You could try drilling the holes out and putting bigger pins. I also think the engine pulley can wear a grove in it that lets the belt go deeper in the pulley and allow the belt to grab into the pulley. One thing I have found that has help the problem is to put a belt support bracket on the triangle plate pivot post to hold the belt up when disengaged and not let it droop and shorten the lengthen in relation to the pulleys. You can make an L shaped bracket and use a screw type hose clamp to attach it to the pivot post. But make sure it does not hit the belt when engaged. Good Luck

dhardin53

Forum Newbie
Threads
hlw49 is correct. I have seen many triangle plates seeming working but freely but not swinging far enough to stop the blades from turning. pull the triangle plate completely clean and grease and re assemble.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
It could also be that the triangle plate is binding on the pivot post from like of grease. I get them in that way all the time. Work the triangle plate up off the post there is nothing to hold it on. Clean the post and bushing hole, grease it good when you put it back on.

j mac

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just installed a new belt and had the same problem, I dusted the pulleys and new belt with baby powder and it seems to be back to normal. Good luck to everyone else!

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Was working on one X2503 04 today would not turn the belt loose. Like I said before I have been fighting this problem for years. Well today I decided to try something today I had never done. I started the engine and let it run at idle took some fine sand paper and polished the pulley and them took some scotch bright and finished it off put the belt back on and it worked like it should.