Blades running rough and noisy

bluegirl

Threads
Hi all,
In the last 2 weeks when I engage the blades on my Toro Wheelhorse (Model 71184-1995) they are sounding rough and noisy like something is loose. The blades themselves are fastened tightly. When I disengage the blades and turn off the mower I can hear something still turning. The belt is in OK condition but not perfect. I do see some wear on the cover that houses one of the pulleys. Once in awhile I can smell burning cable. I know this is not good.
In the last while I have been cutting wet grass alot but the deck is relatively clean.
Where shall I start?
Tx

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi all,
In the last 2 weeks when I engage the blades on my Toro Wheelhorse (Model 71184-1995) they are sounding rough and noisy like something is loose. The blades themselves are fastened tightly. When I disengage the blades and turn off the mower I can hear something still turning. The belt is in OK condition but not perfect. I do see some wear on the cover that houses one of the pulleys. Once in awhile I can smell burning cable. I know this is not good.
In the last while I have been cutting wet grass alot but the deck is relatively clean.
Where shall I start?
Tx

Are your spindles secured? My dads deere did that and one of his spindles were broken

bluegirl

Threads
I'm planning on removing the deck to inspect the works. I'll start there....

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you greased the spindle bearings lately?

bluegirl

Threads
As I thought, a trip to the parts shop I go. The entire spindle apparatus is torn apart inside the spindle housing. What in god's name is that going to cost. And more importantly will they have them in stock....

bluegirl

Threads
A photo of the carnage...

Attachments

• DSCF0053.jpg
    DSCF0053.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 17

bluegirl

Threads
So burning question, replace the bearings on the second blade or leave well enough alone? Thoughts?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
So burning question, replace the bearings on the second blade or leave well enough alone? Thoughts?

Replace both, as bad as the first was the second is not far behind ending up the same way and as long as you have everything disassembled it would be easier to do right now.