Export thread

Blade Sharpness

C

csleeblue

How sharp are blades supposed to be? I have a zero turn (MZ52LE) and mowed 4-5 times with it and it does a good job. But I noticed the blades are dull to touch so I checked out other mowers at Lowes. Some mowers have sharp blades, almost like a knife's edge. I know my mower has a relatively fast blade tip speed (1800+) so I'm thinking the speed compensates for duller blade, but wanted to check if anyone has a better answer. Thanks in advance. Blue

shurguywutt

shurguywutt

Blades don't need to be as sharp as a knife.

The sharper the blade is, the more efficiently it will cut for a period of time.

Sharp blades dull quicker.

My mower had dull blades but it still cut fine.

Only once the blade gets imbalanced/chipped from hitting debris (cause vibrations while mowing), do I get my blade sharpened/balanced at the shop.

okiepc

okiepc

I sharpen mine 5-6 times a year, more if we have enough rain to keep the grass growing in the fall. Looks like this year, the rain gods have smiled upon us as the grass is green going into August. :thumbsup:

S

SeniorCitizen

If SeniorCitizen goes to the trouble of removing the blades, finding his Makita Rt angle grinder, setting in his chair and putting an edge on with the blade laying across his lap, you can bet your sweet petunia they gonna be sharp. I don't keep a dull Schrade SP 3 knife in my pocket either. It doesn't go there unless I can shave with it. I hate dull tools.

Attachments

C

csleeblue

Thank you all for feedback. I forgot to mention that blades on mine were dull when they were brand new. I got a second set of blades and they are the same way. A co-worker of mine who has a JD tractor told me that after blade sharpening by a JD dealer his blades are not sharp either. So it must be by design. I guess a dull blade is less likely to lose teeth going over debris:wink:

S

SeniorCitizen

Thank you all for feedback. I forgot to mention that blades on mine were dull when they were brand new. I got a second set of blades and they are the same way. A co-worker of mine who has a JD tractor told me that after blade sharpening by a JD dealer his blades are not sharp either. So it must be by design. I guess a dull blade is less likely to lose teeth going over debris:wink:

A dull blade is less likely to cut an employee in manufacturer or packaging for shipment and or a mower owner, there by the manufacturer is less likely to be sued.

I drink my Mc Donald's coffee hot and mow with a sharp blade. You are certainly free to mow with a dull blade if you like.

Carscw

Carscw

There is no need to put a razors edge on a mower blade. The edges is gone as soon as you cut the grass the first time.

New blades are as sharp as they need to be. Just maybe research has been done to fine the best angle for a blade.

New blades come with thick paint on the edge so dumb people do not cut them selfs.

okiepc

okiepc

I have always set my blades in a vise and use a file to sharpen them & I try to make them as sharp as possible then I balance them. Seems like a file does a good job by not grinding away excessive material. I do the same with my chainsaws, I use a Granberg Bar Mount sharpener, it will sharpen a chain in no time but not hog off material like the chainsaw shop will do & it is much sharper, stays sharper longer, one of the best tools ever.:thumbsup:

I

ILENGINE

Oregon, who manufactures about 90% of all the blades used on mowers, including OEM says the specs on blade sharpness is a 30 degree angle, with a 30 thousands blunt edge. what they call there 30-30

If the chainsaw shop is hogging metal off of chains then they need to find out how to sharpen chainsaw chains, or the customer needs to find another shop to sharpen his chains.

I have seen myself and have had customers complain that they only get 3 sharpening out of a new chain when the shop does it. the guy running the electric sharpener has no reason to take off more metal then is necessary to restore the edge.

okiepc

okiepc

Oregon, who manufactures about 90% of all the blades used on mowers, including OEM says the specs on blade sharpness is a 30 degree angle, with a 30 thousands blunt edge. what they call there 30-30

If the chainsaw shop is hogging metal off of chains then they need to find out how to sharpen chainsaw chains, or the customer needs to find another shop to sharpen his chains.

I have seen myself and have had customers complain that they only get 3 sharpening out of a new chain when the shop does it. the guy running the electric sharpener has no reason to take off more metal then is necessary to restore the edge.

With my bar mount sharpener I know I have sharpened some at least 15 times & the chain still has plenty to go, that is why I am so proud of this sharpener. :thumbsup:

Fish

Fish

On the new mower blades being dull, most of the mfgrs dip them in real thick paint for safety/handling reasons. If you were to flake that off, you would find sharp.