Export thread

Blade Shaft Bracket

Chief Ben

Chief Ben

Does anyone have problems with the blade shaft brackets breaking off like this, this is the second set I have put on my older craftsman, I know I should not cut rocks with it , and I try not to but it is hard to do in Arkansas, But I think the should hold up better than they do, I'm thinking about trying to build a set out of steel if I can't by a set of steel ones, Does any one know if they make them out of steel??
firecraftsman011.jpg

firecraftsman012.jpg

S

SeniorCitizen

Does anyone have problems with the blade shaft brackets breaking off like this, this is the second set I have put on my older craftsman, I know I should not cut rocks with it , and I try not to but it is hard to do in Arkansas, But I think the should hold up better than they do, I'm thinking about trying to build a set out of steel if I can't by a set of steel ones, Does any one know if they make them out of steel??
firecraftsman011.jpg

firecraftsman012.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About 20 % of the first pic is covered with advertisement but the second pic shows enough that I can see you may be ahead attempting to build rubber blades if you are going to mow rocks.

Popular Science - Google Books

BKBrown

BKBrown

I can't tell exactly what is breaking, but I have one possible solution.

Meg-Mo Blades
Meg-Mo Blades.jpg

there are 4 knives per disc and they fold back if you hit anything like bush hog blades -- I like mine :thumbsup: -- some people don't like them !

Meg-Mo Systems - Lawn Mower Blades, Replacement Mower Blades, Sharpen Lawn Mower Blades, Mulch Grass

Chief Ben

Chief Ben

BKBROWN:: What is breaking is the bolt hole that hold it in place, I like your idea, did you make yours,
are can I buy them some where, I can make them, But it would easyer to buy and cheaper to buy,

BKBrown

BKBrown

BKBROWN:: What is breaking is the bolt hole that hold it in place, I like your idea, did you make yours,
are can I buy them some where, I can make them, But it would easyer to buy and cheaper to buy,

The bottom line in my last post is a link -- it will take you to the Meg-Mo site if you click on it -- or you can do a search for Meg-Mo blades

BKBrown

BKBrown

OK - I see that there are 3 mounting points and one or two are breaking - is that cast aluminum or cast iron ? Have you considered trying to brace the new one with band iron across the top of the hole and a bolt on each side thru the deck ?

there would be 3 holes in the band iron - one for bolt to go thru the band and the
bracket and two to hold the band to the deck.

Chief Ben

Chief Ben

Thanks I like that MEG-MO System and the price is not bad, I am going to order a set for two of my mowers, Thanks again. The Chief.

BKBrown

BKBrown

I like them - they work great for me - some people seem to think they bog down the mower or don't cut great -- they work well for me.

I like your Ferguson TO 30 -- I got a neighbors' running for him - his is 51 purchased new in 52.

Chief Ben

Chief Ben

BKBROWN e-mail me your e-mail address and I can send you some better pictures of the TO-30
dgbentz@aol.com The Chief.