Export thread

Blade Holder Star Fitting is Worn - Does it matter?

D

dad7432

On my MTD Yard-bug, 27 inch blade mower... I removed and sharpened the blade a few weeks ago. It was hard to get the blade off. I had to remove the blade using a looooooong handled wrench (and rubber mallet). Instead of the 5/8 inch nut the manual calls for, someone had installed a blade holder nut that required a one inch socket.

Once I got the blade off, I found that the star fitting that the blade should align with was worn down to practically nothing. I sharpened the blade and put it back on tight (using the same large nut) after lubing the fitting. I have used the mower a few times and it seems to cut fine.

Question: Should I care about the worn down star fitting? My thought was no, as long as the blade spun and cut OK.. but I am a mere amateur.

Mower model: 13A-328-402 Year:2001 with 9 hp engine.

Thanks!

K

KennyV

Your going to be fine, with it tight it will hold the blade. If in the future you start having any slippage at that point you May have to use a Heavy large diameter washer to give more surface area bite on the blade. If it's holding the blade now... You are good.
BTW... What diameter is that bolt that has the 1 inch head? :smile:KennyV

D

dad7432

BTW... What diameter is that bolt that has the 1 inch head? :smile:KennyV

The bolt looks like the original bolt -- about half an inch or so... Based on your comment about using a large washer, whoever maintained my mower put the larger size nut on there to just the same thing.

M

motoman

Agree with KV, but next time do not lube star or clamping surface of washer. My Craftsman only calls 45 ft lbs for nut and reduce that value depending upon the lube type you are using. (search this forum for lubricants) Do not go ape because of the big nut.:wink: