Blade choice for a model 5247 (1980, 19" push model)

Gene123

Threads
The blade on my model 5247 (1980, 19" push model) is original. If I replace it, what blade would you fellows recommend? Is the Lawn Boy "Tri Cut" the blade of choice, or has something better come out? I've seen a lot of ads on the net about a "Gator blade."

Fireman 123

Threads
I'd try to find a stock replacement, or sharpen & balance the one I had. I've tried a gator blade, but didn't like it much.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is a "gator blade"?

Fireman 123

Threads
Two-Stroke said:
What is a "gator blade"?

Universal mulching blade. You can get them at Walmart.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads

Thanks, I had never heard of that. I like having one mower set up with a mulching blade and plug.

:laughing: When you have roughly eight working mowers you can afford to specialize. :laughing:

Gene123

Threads
What is a "gator blade"?

I don't know how long they've been on the market, but they advertise them to be very good at cutting and mulching. They've got a web site you can easily find by doing a search with that blade name. I don't know anyone who has used one. As I understand it, and I may be wrong, Lawn Boy "improved" their blades around the year ?. I believe their new blade was called the "Tri-Cut Blade." It lifted the grass clippings and cut through them three times. It helped mulch the grass. Other fellows on the forum probably know a lot more than me about the Tri-Cut blade, ... and blades in general.

Gene123

Threads

Is that the blade your are using? If so, did it have the right size hole in the middle? Or, did you have to use some type of adapter to make it fit correctly? Was there a reason you chose it instead of the oem Lawn Boy "tri-cut" blade?

Gene123

Threads
Thanks, I had never heard of that. I like having one mower set up with a mulching blade and plug.

:laughing: When you have roughly eight working mowers you can afford to specialize. :laughing:

Ha! Eight mowers?! You must have a lot of experience with different blades. On your Lawn Boys, what brand of blade (and type) have you chosen?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ha! Eight mowers?! You must have a lot of experience with different blades. On your Lawn Boys, what brand of blade (and type) have you chosen?

I haven't chosen any blades separately, I just use the ones that I have. I do sharpen and balance them. Balancing is a very kind thing to do for your Lawn-Boy two-stroke... they're such smooth running engines... it's shame to mess it up with an unbalanced blade. :cool:

I have just one mower with a mulching blade: a model 10415 and it came that way.

Fireman 123

Threads
The gator blade that I bought was universal and had the adapters, but I did have to ream the slots out to fit over the two raised holes on the lawn boy blade adapter. I do what 2 stroke does now.