BlackHawk HP keypad failure

GP_in_FL

Forum Newbie
Threads
I looked at the parts website today, and couldn't find it. BTW, my mower is at the dealer, waiting on the part. I understand their point of view, but from my perspective, it's an unnecessary PITA. To draw a parallel, if my car's wiper blades were covered by warranty, why would it be OK to have to take my car to the dealership and drop it off for a week, and then have to pay the dealer's labor rates to replace the blades? Having a threshold for commonly or easily replaceable parts would go a long ways toward building good will. I will legitimately have 5+ hours of billable time lost by the time this exercise in bureaucracy is over. Come to think of it, even the car dealership analogy is shaky, because I can't just drive my mower to work one day and swing by the dealership on my way home and have my wife meet me there and take me home. I'd even be more OK with it if it cost me a couple of Saturday mornings to handle it, but that's not an option...they are closed on weekends.

The counter girl I worked with at the dealership said that they don't see many keypad failures, but the parking brake switch is a common failure, and she constantly fields similar protests.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does anyone have the kit part number? i would like to do away with the keypad.
Try this until you can decide what you are going to do. Take an air gun and blow around the keys. Blow the crap out of it and see if that will let you start the mower. I did it to one the other day and it worked. Has not been back yet. This was before we got the kit to change the one we did over not the same mowers.

GP_in_FL

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try this until you can decide what you are going to do. Take an air gun and blow around the keys. Blow the crap out of it and see if that will let you start the mower. I did it to one the other day and it worked. Has not been back yet. This was before we got the kit to change the one we did over not the same mowers.
I thought about that as well. I keep my mower in the barn, and our summers are notoriously hot and humid. I kept the keypad in the house for a week while I tried to resolve the issue without having to drag the machine to the dealership. Before I loaded it onto the trailer, I reconnected it, and no dice. It had gotten progressively balky over time, and finally would not register any key presses from the number keys.

At the end of the day, it's a potted circuit board with membrane switches. Despite the best efforts of electrical engineers, they do fail. It's still the best mower I've ever had, and my yard is the equivalent of the Samsonite luggage testers as far as mowers are concerned. I just wish it was easier to get the damn part.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I looked at the parts website today, and couldn't find it. BTW, my mower is at the dealer, waiting on the part. I understand their point of view, but from my perspective, it's an unnecessary PITA. To draw a parallel, if my car's wiper blades were covered by warranty, why would it be OK to have to take my car to the dealership and drop it off for a week, and then have to pay the dealer's labor rates to replace the blades? Having a threshold for commonly or easily replaceable parts would go a long ways toward building good will. I will legitimately have 5+ hours of billable time lost by the time this exercise in bureaucracy is over. Come to think of it, even the car dealership analogy is shaky, because I can't just drive my mower to work one day and swing by the dealership on my way home and have my wife meet me there and take me home. I'd even be more OK with it if it cost me a couple of Saturday mornings to handle it, but that's not an option...they are closed on weekends.

The counter girl I worked with at the dealership said that they don't see many keypad failures, but the parking brake switch is a common failure, and she constantly fields similar protests.
If it were as simple as replacing a wiper blade i would do it while you waited. I replaced a key pad the other day while the customer waited. We try our best to take care of our customers takes just a few minutes to do the key pad but the kit is a different thing. But would do it asap. Never replaced but one brake switch but several key pads. Just be thankful they are covering the key pad under warranty.

dixieseller

Threads
Call Joyce at DIXIE for part number, also if less then 3 years old warranty may cover parts only, you pay labor.