BlackHawk HP keypad failure

GP_in_FL

Forum Newbie
Threads
My keypad failed. I can't enter the code to unlock/start my mower. Mower has 255.1 hours.

1) Call Dixe Chopper in Indiana. Parts rep looks up my s/n and says that the part is covered under "parts only" warranty. Also says I need to contact my local dealer to do the exchange.

2) Call local dealer #1. I explain the situation, including call to factory. He says there's no way he's exchanging the part over the counter. I am required to bring the mower to him so he can perform a diagnostic procedure, evaluate the part, place an order for a replacement, then replace the part. I thank him for his time and...

3) Call local dealer #2. I explain the situation and am told the same thing.

So I either pay Dixie Chopper $350 for a replacement part that the supplier (Global Digital Instruments, somewhere in upstate NY) covers with a lifetime warranty and that Dixie Chopper acknowledges is covered by the warranty, OR fork over hundreds of dollars to my local dealer for the privilege of having him tell me that my part is bad.

Basically, this is legalized fraud.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A "parts only" warranty means they will replace the part but you have to pay for the labour
The other alternative is to take up the warranty claim with Global Digital directly .
No mower company is going to take your word that a part is faulty for obvious reasons.
There is a scheduled service fee for doing each & every warranty job which is generally a lot less than the actual time spend doing the job.

Then there is the question of "why did it fail?" and 90% of the time that is operator error or neglect.
Eg;- a commercial customer had his module on a Z Master fail.
Whil it too has a warranty, the fact that the mower lives in an open top trailer voids this warranty as it is subject to weather damage which is owner abuse .

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow you have a low opinion of your local dealers. Like Bert said they just don't give out parts because someone says it is bad. Dang bring it to me would cost you about $80.00. Of course you would have to drive to Tn. to get it done. The other alternative is you can buy the kit and change it to a key start. Just did one today. I think the kit is around $400.00 and then your problems would be over. Hate the key pad they do give problems and it seems so much so they came out with the kit to convert it to key start.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I find I am doing more retro fits to mowers every year
Those smart switchers are not particularly smart unless you have share in the companies that makes them .

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I find I am doing more retro fits to mowers every year
Those smart switchers are not particularly smart unless you have share in the companies that makes them .
So other manufactures are having the same problem and have come out with a kit to convert back to the key start?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So other manufactures are having the same problem and have come out with a kit to convert back to the key start?
Not that I know of
Not a difficult job to rewire most mowers as the safety circuits are mostly ground switched so you can use the wires already going to the modules.
When new models come out that never had a conventional wiring so there is no diagram to follow it will require a bit more thought.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
On the Dixie Chopper Black Hawk and Eagle they have a kit to change the keypad and wiring harness. Not a tough job takes about an hour and an hour and a half.

WPSPUMP

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone have the kit part number? i would like to do away with the keypad.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not off the top of my head but can get it for you I replaced one on a
Black Hawk the other day.