Best way to patch this deck without welding?

seattlepioneer

Threads
Removing the blade adapter is likely to be difficult and require a two jaw puller to get it off.

If you search You Tube for "removing blade adapter" there are numerous videos on how to perform this trick.

ilyaz

Threads
Removing the blade adapter is likely to be difficult and require a two jaw puller to get it off.

If you search You Tube for "removing blade adapter" there are numerous videos on how to perform this trick.

Before removing it I'll want to flip the mower upside down. Do I first need to drain all gas and oil from the mower first? Even if I somehow manage to remove it without flipping, can I swap the deck without draining?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
To swap motors you basically remove the operator cable, put a clamp on the recoil start rope so it won't rewind back more and take the end off the handle bar, remove the blade, take out the three mounting bolts, trade motors. Sometimes the mounting bolts are a tough chore, as said before soak them good.

dougand3

Threads
Yes, drain oil and gas first.

seattlepioneer

Threads
To swap motors you basically remove the operator cable, put a clamp on the recoil start rope so it won't rewind back more and take the end off the handle bar, remove the blade, take out the three mounting bolts, trade motors. Sometimes the mounting bolts are a tough chore, as said before soak them good.

I just broke off one of three mounting bolts on a mower I was removing the engine. The other mower had all three bolts come off without breaking the bolts.

I guess brute force is not to be recommended.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yep, I always soak them in PB blaster or Liquid wrench several hours before removing.
since I've done that, I haven't broken one off.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Only thing draining it does is less weight when you pick up it...

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
You generally want the spark plug facing up.

seattlepioneer

Threads
What could happen if I don't drain and flip it on its side with the gas tank facing up?

Oil tends to drain down and plug up the air filter and the engine wont run until the mess is cleaned up. I learned this the hard way once.