Best way to patch this deck without welding?

ilyaz

Threads
I have this push mower. The blade is good, the engine runs great, but the deck is full of holes. What's the best way to patch them without welding? Aluminum flashing cut to size, bent and attached with metal screws? I also read somewhere about using fiberglass cloth + epoxy -- is this a good option? Something else? TIA!

image000000.jpgimage000000.jpgimage000001.jpgimage000002.jpgimage000003.jpgimage000004.jpg

ilyaz

Threads
OK thx. Do I just need to remove the blade and then detach the whole top of the mower (engine and all) from the deck, and move it to the other deck? Or is there more work with the top?

Also, when I look for a matching mower to cannibalize, how close do I need to get to model number or whatever of this mower? In other words, how do I figure if the other deck fits?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
imagemowerdeck.jpgRemove the blade, and there are 3 or 4 9/16" head bolts that hold the mower to the frame... it would also be a good idea to soak the bolts in penetrating oil prior to removal, as sometimes they are pretty stuck and rusty to the point the head rounds off or breaks off.
matter of fact, you can see one of the mounting bolts right here....

ilyaz

Threads
Will a matching deck necessarily be Craftsman? Or are there other brands that have compatible models?

ilyaz

Threads
And I posted another thread: Carb cleaning Not sure if I want to cannibalize that one just yet, but is this a matching deck?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
They appear to have the same engine. So the engine mounting holes should be the same.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bet you have a brand spanking new air filter in that Bad Boy Mower. Sucker is soooo clean, you got to wear shades. (y)

slomo

Last edited:

ilyaz

Threads
I bet you have a brand spanking new air filter in that Bad Boy Mower. Sucker is soooo clean, you got to wear shades. (y)

slomo

I didn't check but it started from one pull right away and ran like it's brand new! I have another Craftsman (in the other thread) which has no rust yet I can't get it to start!