best walk behind lawnmower

granville

Threads
Wondering what are the best self propelled walk behind mower......cutting about half acre .....looking for a good quality mower

Parkmower

Threads
Alot of people like lawn boys. I own a toro self propelled that I like. I Also use a Troy bilt self propelled with no complaints. And the hondas are popular but I've never used one.

Sammy the Red

Threads
I have a Honda push. Has been a great mower. I just don't use it anymore. Mow most everything with a Z-turn now.

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
I too have about 1/2 acre and like my Toro. Pricey up front, but it has a 5 year warranty and 5 years worth of free blades with the owner care program.

LandN

Threads
Wondering what are the best self propelled walk behind mower......cutting about half acre .....looking for a good quality mower

snapper,toro ,lawnboy,honda, husqvarna,cub cadet, ariens, just to name a few,all have different models in their lineup with different features that you might want that someone else might not want,which means good for you but maybe not for someone else.with your half acre i would lean more towards a high end homeowner model or commercial duty.personally i would lean towards a good dealer bought mower(that's just me).try out several models on the floor and see if one 'fits' you any better than another.blade type and deck design go a long way in quality grass cutting. ask your neighbors if they have opinions on a model they like.check when sales are going on in your area.check which ones have better warrantees. i, like you will be looking for a good wb mower in the spring to replace 3 others. good luck in your search. you might find excellent deals on good used mowers on C.L. and classifieds

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
Good point there LandN, you might want to "buy a dealer." A good dealer is worth the money, prices really aren't that much more and if you need warranty work or service, you can take it back where you got it; the big box store doesn't have a service department. I'd dealt with my dealer for years on stuff I bought when I lived in another state. He also took my old mower in trade. I'd have been happy to get $25 on top of not having to sell it myself and he offered me $90. I had one heck of a poker face as I accepted his offer. Needless to say, when I need a new chain saw, etc. ...

Sammy the Red

Threads
Most dealers will price match the box store price.

Tom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hiya,

First find a local dealer you like to deal with and then see what they have for commercial duty 21" mowers. Don't bother with consumer grade mowers or the trash at the retail stores, you will get 2 to 5 or so years out of them at best before things start breaking. (The consumer models at local power equipment dealers are far better than the retail box store junk but still aren't commercial duty)

The last two 21's I bought for my mowing business were Snapper Commercials with Wisconsin/Robin engines. I kept them for myself when I sold the business over 20 years ago and they are still running great. They cost me $750.00 each back in 1990, best money I ever spent on 21's.

My 2 cents,

Tom

earthworm

Threads
I'm happy with the LawnBoy personal pace - this works great !
The LB was purchased from Kerrys of Mechanicsburg for $412 in August of '06.
Its engine is so-so, but the overall design is very good.
Now I need a mower better suited for half an acre, particularly bagging .. the little bag does not cut it...not with all the rain we have had this year..
Of interest is the Ariens with the castor wheels, but I need the large bag..

NHL_Lawnmower

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use a Toro and I love that thing, Briggs & Stratton just makes great engines. I had a craftsman before that and it was old and ran like crap. I suggest Toro.