Best snow removal methods

touree

Threads
It is important to be ready for winter both psychologically and by having the right equipment. Snow can be a good insulator for both yourself and the plants against the freezing temperatures.

I am sure there is etiquette regarding snow removal to avoid any damages either to your plants and/or the lawn. Any ideas are welcome.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are right snow is a great insulator... until it packs and becomes ice... then it just seems cold but will still keep extreme cold out for a while.

The best thing is don't remove it unless there is a good reason that makes it necessary.
And then when you have to do it be careful to not damage what's under it ... grass or driveways ... or whatever. :smile:KennyV
For me a good 2 stage snow blower is 'fun':wink:... I also enjoyed doing my roads with my motor grader... :smile:KennyV

touree

Threads
True Kenny. My question would be, when then is it necessary to remove the snow because I suppose the plants and trees are not comfortable with the snow around.

brucesdeere

Threads
I was always told to cover the plants with burlap so they don't sustain damage from the snow, does this method still stand, or have things changed?

Ifixdit

Threads
I remove snow off my trees when I feel they are in danger of being permanently damaged. I have eight beautiful Arbor Vitaes in my yard. These trees are evergreen and have a large surface area for the snow to accumulate on. Every time a heavy snow occurs, hundreds of pounds of snow sticks to the branches causing them to bow down several feet till they touch the ground. It makes the trees look horrible and distorts them completely out of shape. As soon as the storm is over and the temp is above freezing I go out with a garden hose and typically spend about an hour hosing off the snow. It takes some time but the trees for the most part return to their normal shape. I suppose if I wasn't around they would probably be fine but I just hate to see them in such pitiful shape.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
when then is it necessary to remove the snow because I suppose the plants and trees are not comfortable with the snow around.
Actually the snow will insulate plants from bitter cold.... And help prevent extreme temp changes ...
I was always told to cover the plants with burlap so they don't sustain damage from the snow, does this method still stand, or have things changed?
You can cover plants in late fall to keep them outside longer, but you have to uncover them to get sunlight..If it is a plant that goes into dormancy covering it will also help it indure large temp swings... Tree bark suffers most from large temp changes, cold freezes over night followed by direct sun during the day, that contraction and expansion if too extreme can damage some trees while their sap is not flowing...
I remove snow off my trees when I feel they are in danger of being permanently damaged. I have eight beautiful Arbor Vitaes in my yard. These trees are evergreen and have a large surface area for the snow to accumulate on. Every time a heavy snow occurs, hundreds of pounds of snow sticks to the branches causing them to bow down several feet till they touch the ground. It makes the trees look horrible and distorts them completely out of shape. As soon as the storm is over and the temp is above freezing I go out with a garden hose and typically spend about an hour hosing off the snow. It takes some time but the trees for the most part return to their normal shape. I suppose if I wasn't around they would probably be fine but I just hate to see them in such pitiful shape.
Removing a snow or ice load is always a good idea... It just isn't always practical, but when you can it sure saves those weaker branches...
I think we have winters with ice & snow, so we will more appreciate getting to mow in the heat of summer... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is important to be ready for winter both psychologically and by having the right equipment. Snow can be a good insulator for both yourself and the plants against the freezing temperatures.

I am sure there is etiquette regarding snow removal to avoid any damages either to your plants and/or the lawn. Any ideas are welcome.

One of the best ways to avoid damaging lawn and shrubs, etc is to use drive markers that clearly show the area you want to clear...I have shrubs alongside my driveway to I put a row of markers up showing the edge of the drive, as well as the corners and edges of the sidewalk etc. I plow several of my neighbors driveways too and have asked them to please mark theirs the same way so I don't accidentally damage anything...they know what is under the snow but I don't. One of my neighbors hired a commercial plow truck one winter and the plow truck took out his well cap which was somewhat off the driveway....I always remembered the well cap but the contract guy didn't pay attention. A marker would have saved a big headache. MARK ANY OBSTRUCTIONS.

Green Girl

Threads
Being ready psychologically---no truer words were spoken!----we have private road 600 feet long on a hill! The "best" method for us is to stay tuned to the forecast and be aware of what kind of snow we have. The heavy wet stuff, we keep on top of. The light dry stuff we'll let stack up and do at one time.