Best 42 inch cut from new mower?

motomike

Threads
Looks like my 24yo Murray may be giving up the ghost soon so looking to replace it. I need to stay with a 42 inch deck, that size works well on my yard and any bigger won't fit in the storage shed anyway. Which models cut the best? I have hybrid Bermuda in front and tall fescue in the back. Slightly hilly yard, a tight turn would be nice. I'm in Newnan, Ga.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not in the USA so not familiar with local grasses or georgaphy.
However the best cut (not a good describer ) so I will say the cleanest cut will come from a deck where the blades have the biggest overlap
So for a 42 " deck, if the blades are 21" each, they will leave an uncut strip between them in a very short time .
A 22" blade will only ever leave an uncut strip when doing tight right turns .
Now the finest cut will come from a timed deck where the blades are set at right angles to each other .
Very few mower companies offer these types of decks because they add to the costs as 2 x 33" blades cost more than 2 x 21.125" blades .
I like the articulated mowers with the full mulch or rear discharge decks .
However they do not suit a lot of people as their decks will be overwhelmed if you let the grass grow too long between cuts .
In the USA Husqvarna & Stiga do this style of mower ( only Husqvarna mower I ever recommend )

For better answers the boys will need to know a bit more about your mowing habits , frequency , time of day , bag , mulch, throw, leaves etc .

motomike

Threads
I mow the Bermuda every 4-5 days during the growing season, always mulch. Mow in late afternoon/early evening when grass is completely dry.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Toro is a great cutting machine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I mow the Bermuda every 4-5 days during the growing season, always mulch. Mow in late afternoon/early evening when grass is completely dry.
In that case, see if you can demo one of the articulated mowers
They steer from the rear like a fork lift but they should last you another 20 years and there is very few that will provide a better cut .