Bermuda Grass

sk734

Threads
I am mowing bermuda grass. It is a viney type grass and my mower keeps pulling up the vines occasionally. Not sure what is causing it. My mower is self propelled older type commercial model 8430. I am used to red fescue and Kentucky blue grass as I am originally from the north and I now live in the South. Deck is clean and blade is sharp. Any ideas. Thanks in an advance

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try pulling some in those areas with your fingers. If it pulls easily that's an indication Grubs have eaten the roots.

1saxman

Threads
SK, how low are you cutting it? There are several ways to approach Bermuda - many people cut it very low. I'm in central VA and I cut mine at 3". This way it looks great all summer no matter how hot. Possibly at the higher cut, you won't tend to pull up the runners. Another Bermuda tip: for a bare spot or low area, just put down some sand/soil mixture - the Bermuda will fill it fast and the roots will hold it together.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wouldn't worry about it unless you are trying to fill dead spots. You can cut Bermuda at 1/4" to 10 feet tall. That stuff grows on concrete LOL.

slomo

sk734

Threads
Thanks for the replies
I raised my cutting height to about 3" and seems to be good. My type of Bermuda grass likes a high cut.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some of the runners just don't get a chance to root if your grass is thick. It's got to find a spot close enough to the ground.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some of the runners just don't get a chance to root if your grass is thick. It's got to find a spot close enough to the ground.
If you have thick grass, no need for extra runners. Bermuda will fill in easily.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the replies
I raised my cutting height to about 3" and seems to be good. My type of Bermuda grass likes a high cut.
Jack your mower all the way up. Water the snot out of it. Dump some 46-0-0 fertilizer at 3lbs per 1k sf. Then take a lawn chair and WATCH the grass grow. No more bare spots and an ultra thick turf. You will be the envy of the block.

slomo