Belt tension adjustment for older mower deck

Chips Ahoy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
Can anyone help me with adjusting my mower deck belt on a 917.271121? I've rebuilt most of the deck with new spindles and blades and have a new stock belt. I've also replaced the main motion drive belt. I can't seem to find where to make that adjustment on my older mower deck even after reading the manual. The tension seems too loose when cutting tall grass and tends to stall the engine under load.

Attachments

• mower deck.jpg
    mower deck.jpg
    599.9 KB · Views: 16

keakar

Threads
could your engagement cable be stretched? see if the leverage arm (under the big bolt in the center of bracket) is moving all the way and not tightening the belt

Mower King

Threads
One thing I noticed in your pics is, the belt is twisted.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is no belt tension adjustment. Make sure the pivots for the brakes and the tension idler are free and greased. Install new belt. If belt slips check for worn engine pulley. If it is bogging the engine down in tall grass the belt is not slipping.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There is no belt tension adjustment. Make sure the pivots for the brakes and the tension idler are free and greased. Install new belt. If belt slips check for worn engine pulley. If it is bogging the engine down in tall grass the belt is not slipping.
It does appear to have a worn out. But the mower is also under power with the 16.5 hp if it still have the original engine. Most 42 inch cut mower here have a 18.5-19.5 hp engines.

The mower I currently using once had a 16.5 hp engine and would stall out in semi heavy 6 inch grass when cutting off 3.5-4 inches. I did upgrade the mower's engine to a 21 hp since I do cut a lot of overgrown grass and it was the closest I had the 19.5 hp plus I knew what I was needing to cut. Matter of fact I was yesterday with it cutting knee high grass which actually was loading the engine quite a bit as I had to drop down to a speed 3 of a 7 speed transaxle.

Actually the 16.5 hp is more suited to being used on a 38 inch cut deck. which normally have 15.5 hp on many the mower that cuts well here.