Belt doesn't stay on.

Guitarhacker

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got the Husqvarna YTA 18542 mower and I'm having a few issues with the belt staying on when I disengage it. New correct belt. New belt guide up front and on the pulleys. The belt drops off of the front drive pulley when I disengage. I'm thinking there's supposed to be an idler pulley that takes up the slack but I'm not seeing anything that's doing that. I've also had a few of the front belt guides break off with very little time on the mower. Not sure what's causing that and I don't think it's related to the thrown belts.

Gotta get this figured out . Any advice is appreciated.

Bertrrr

Threads
How long have you had this machine ? You should be able to tell if the idler pully is not there, All decks have an idler pully to keep tension on the deck belt , it also should " Float " freely to allow a little play.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This mower has two belt retainer at the engine pulley. Also verify your belt is 101 to 101-1/4 od length for the 42" deck. I have received even OEM belts that were too short and too long. If the belt is correct then you need a belt about 1/2" shorter.

As for the belt retainers break it is probably where deck is hitting them.

Guitarhacker

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think I have it solved.

The front belt guard was being ripped off when the belt flew off due to the inertia from the weight of the aftermarket blades when it snagged the guard.

The belt: I installed a new belt that was smaller which meant less slack. Replaced the 101.5" belt with the 99.75" belt and it is running like a charm.

Thanks for the advice on this problem.