StarTech
Lawn Royalty
2012 Craftsman 247.288842 with a Briggs 31P677-0912-G5 and a Nikki carburetor.
Initial complaint was fuel in the oil. Okay easy enough to fix.
Now comes the problem they didn't tell me about. It was surging through the entire rpm range unloaded as no deck.
Normally if you hold the throttle vane steady the problem usually either goes away or the engine dies. Well it stayed running. So I did a static governor adjustment to no avail.
Next was to add a little choke which did smooth it out until it got running too rich. Adjusting the idle mixture did absolutely nothing.
It took doing a modification on the Nikki to correct the problem. I have once done this several years ago on a Nikki clone so I had an idea where to make the mod.
Initial complaint was fuel in the oil. Okay easy enough to fix.
Now comes the problem they didn't tell me about. It was surging through the entire rpm range unloaded as no deck.
Normally if you hold the throttle vane steady the problem usually either goes away or the engine dies. Well it stayed running. So I did a static governor adjustment to no avail.
Next was to add a little choke which did smooth it out until it got running too rich. Adjusting the idle mixture did absolutely nothing.
It took doing a modification on the Nikki to correct the problem. I have once done this several years ago on a Nikki clone so I had an idea where to make the mod.
Last edited: