Battery question!

I have a CC XT2 lawn tractor and the battery is 6 years old and i keep it tendered for the winters here in Virginia.
I’m thinking I should just replace the battery prior to this years season, or, do you get a warning prior to the battery just going completely dead? Thanks
Use it until it no longer starts your tractor and them purchase a new one of equal or higher CCA.
Clean ALL battery cable terminations.
 
I think he referrring when you get off the mower shutting it down to do something and trying to restart when done. Had it happen to me in my PU vehicle started it drove a 1000 ft, shut down, got what I was doing done, and then the engine would not crank because the battery crashed. Completely dead as it was an internal failure.
sure, but that's the exception not the rule. batteries rarely go bad in the middle of a job.
 
I wouldn't say rare, happened to me a couple times & also with my customers over the years. Still, at that age I would replace rather then walking back & going out to buy a battery.
 
With 4 auto/truck batteries, 2 lawn tractors and a motorcycle in the family I invested in a Foxwell BT-100 battery tester. It will show state of charge and perform a cca test and tell you when its time to replace an old or suspect battery. Well worth the $30 or so.
 
With 4 auto/truck batteries, 2 lawn tractors and a motorcycle in the family I invested in a Foxwell BT-100 battery tester. It will show state of charge and perform a cca test and tell you when its time to replace an old or suspect battery. Well worth the $30 or so.
For battery life in a mower, it is all about the cold cranking amps, and how you maintain your battery. If you buy a 230 CCA battery and put it in a 22 ho twin cylinder engine and never trickle charge it, you might get a year or so. If you buy a 340 CCA battery and use it on the same size engine, and trickle charge it once a month, it will last 3-5 years. Your choice, buy an underpowered battery and never add water, trickle charge it etc. and it is not going to last. The brand of battery is less important than the proper CCA selection and maintenance.
 
I do have a jump start battery pack, however how can you start the tractor when jumping it since the seat sensor will not be enabled?
I've got a CC XT1 GT50 and my NOCO boost box will hook up with the seat down. My battery is dated NOV 19, so 3 1/2 yrs old and still tests like new. It's the OE factory battery. I usually charge it once or twice during the winter down time. Its a 230cca battery on a Kohler 25hp engine.
 
Back
Top