Repairs Battery not charging - hour meter not working

Vipor

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have not found anything on this subject in this forum. Maybe someone has had this problem and can help me. I have a 2009 Scag ZTR Tiger Cub 23 hp Vanguard engine. The battery is not being charged by the engine while running. I have to charge it externally. Once I get it started it will run all day. I also have no display working on my hour meter.

There is voltage going to the hour meter when I turn the key is on and the seat switch is engaged. I checked the hour meter for continuity and it has none. I am assuming (a guess) that the meter is bad. Could this be my problem with the charging of the battery?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start with the battery, then work on the hour meter. If you have a VOM meter test the voltage at the battery with the engine running at 3/4 throttle. It should read between 13.5-14.5V. If it does not you either have a bad stator or voltage regulator.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you say it will run all day, is it mowing all day? The reason that I'm asking is that the amperage draw on the battery to operate the machine with the charging system not providing any output will drain a fully charged battery in about 2.5-3 hours.
There are two fuses near the control panel, one is for the machine electrical system the other is for the charging system, check them.
There is a wiring diagram in the operators manual.
As for the hour meter, they were problematic and have been changed in the Scag parts system to another vendor. I have had to replace the one on my 2008 Scag Tiger Cub.
Check all the electrical connectors on the machine, bear in mind that the charging system output passes thru the keyswitch and then into the electrical system, it is the single yellow wire.
As has been already mentioned, check the voltage at the battery with the engine running at half or higher throttle.
Mad Mackie in CT

Attachments

• Scag Tiger Cub electrical wiring diagram in color.pdf
    59.6 KB · Views: 18

Vipor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Rivets and MM. I will give your suggestions a try. I will let you know what happens.

Vipor

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mower can cut with the battery being discharged. I am assuming the charging system on the mower is working because the deck clutch requires electricity to run. If it wasn't the battery would not be able to keep the clutch engaged. Is that logical or not?

When you say it will run all day, is it mowing all day? The reason that I'm asking is that the amperage draw on the battery to operate the machine with the charging system not providing any output will drain a fully charged battery in about 2.5-3 hours.
There are two fuses near the control panel, one is for the machine electrical system the other is for the charging system, check them.
There is a wiring diagram in the operators manual.
As for the hour meter, they were problematic and have been changed in the Scag parts system to another vendor. I have had to replace the one on my 2008 Scag Tiger Cub.
Check all the electrical connectors on the machine, bear in mind that the charging system output passes thru the keyswitch and then into the electrical system, it is the single yellow wire.
As has been already mentioned, check the voltage at the battery with the engine running at half or higher throttle.
Mad Mackie in CT

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you having an engine cranking problem?
I have had to disconnect, clean and reconnect all the battery cables and the ground cables that are connected to the engine on one of the engine mounting bolts. I also have had to unplug and clean the engine harness adapter connector. This is the connector that has a red wire from it going to the battery terminal on the start solenoid.
Mad Mackie in CT

chessman7

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had this problem and it turned out to be the regulator. Mine would run for a while but then die after only a few minutes.

Vipor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Chessman7,

It doesn't die. It will run even with a battery that is almost discharged. Apparently the electrical system is putting out enough current to run the electric PTO clutch. That is what takes the most power from the battery.