Battery light stays on & head lights burned out

dana a

Threads
I have a Toro/Wheel Horse with 18 HP Kohler engine.I bought it used and have had it about 3 years and the battery light has came on and off ever since I've had it but have never had any issues with the battery. The last time I mowed, a couple days ago, I noticed the battery light stayed on all the time I also noticed the bulbs were burned out. I took them out and one has a white film inside and the other has white and black film inside. Usually when a bulb burns out it just burns the filament in two. My neighbor said that the head lights are made to be on at all times to help regulate the voltage going to the battery. I check the voltage at the battery at idle speed and it was 13.8 volts which I think is what it's supposed to be. It appears the head lights don't have anything to do with regulating voltage. Do any of you know why my battery light is staying on? Would a voltage spike cause the bulbs to look the way they do?
Thanks for any help,
Dana aBad bulbs 2.jpg

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd guess those bulbs got wet while hot. Don't know the explanation for this but seen it a lot in some of my junk. Are those lights always on when the motor is running? Battery light might be completely separate issue.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you post the model and serial numbers for the tractor, I’ll get a wiring diagram to help in troubleshooting.

dana a

Threads
These bulbs just recently burnt out. I know they didn't get wet because I never leave it outside and I doesn't mow in the rain. Yes the lights are always on when running.

The mower is a Toro/Wheel horse 518XI, Model # 73470 and serial # 8900769.

Thanks guys...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Need model and spec of the Kohler engine.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Page 7-133 of this guide will have the wiring diagrams you will need for electrical troubleshooting. Lights on this tractor have nothing to do wit the charging system. I’ve also attached a Kohler Command service manual so you can test the charging system. Hope this helps, post back with any more questions.