Basic Carburetor Adjustments for Toro Super Recycler Electric Start 20384

OldToroGuy

Threads
  • / Basic Carburetor Adjustments for Toro Super Recycler Electric Start 20384
My Toro 20384 with electric start, is 3 years old and it starts fine at the beginning of mowing the lawn but if I shut it down after its hot, it often has to crank several times before it will start. Sometimes it doesn’t want to start at all. If I use the pull starter it takes one or two pulls to get it started. I get the smell of gas and I think it’s getting to much choke and/or the carburetor is out of adjustment. Does anybody know what the basic carburetor adjustments are? I bought this from a Toro dealer, not the lighter Toro model sold at HD or Lowes.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have a mower that I’ve recommended for the last 15 years and I’d like you to check a couple of things first. 1. Next time you try hot starting, remove the air filter cover and filter and check to see if the choke is open or closed? It should be open. If it is closed, the auto choke is not working. 2. If the choke is open, quickly tip the mower so the carb is down and then try the electric start. Depending on what you find will determine what route to take. If you find that the choke is not opening I recommend you take it to your Toro dealer. Your mower has a five year warranty and any good dealer should cover this under warranty. If you choke is open and the engine starts after tipping, the carb is in need of a good cleaning and adjusting the float level. Most times this will not be covered under warranty, because the cause will be blamed on storage with fuel over an extended period of time.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would also be sure the air filter and oil is changed annually. Run it dry when you are done with it in the fall so the gas does not get a chance to turn to varnish. What Rivets said also.

OldToroGuy

Threads
Thanks Rivets and sgkent. I'm probably 2 weeks or so away from cutting any grass but I will look for the choke position the next time I use it. This is my second Toro Super Recycler, the first one lasted about 20 years so I'm used to keeping plenty of air filters handy.