bagging

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
When did bagging become a neglected mowing technique? It produces the best most professional finish compared to side slinging and mulching.

To me, mulching is the worst. Small clippings fall into the turf. Side slingers throw clippings on top of the grass blades. Slingers keep the turf and soil open compared to packed down mulching that NEVER decomposes. Mulching starves the turf from water, fertilizer and sunlight.

We see yards like this every season. "My yard is struggling, grass not growing". Rake the yard and bag with a Snapper Hi-Vac. Put down some 46-0-0 fertilizer and water........ I tell people to stop mulch mowing. Course this being ultra lazy America......

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mulching is by far the best thing for the grass , the soil & the environment
The caveat is it is done properly ( most don't )
Bagging exports nutrients requiring regular fertalizing and top dressings because the volume of the grass cut has to come from somewhere .

Bagging & mulching the grass is the next best thing for the environment .
Personally I have never understood the facination of vast areas of grass unless you need something for the kids to roll & tumble on .

I suppose it is different in the USA where you need a clear line of sight for the effective use of the machine gun placements around the house.
However I for one am working on reducing the amount of grass that needs to be mowed to the absolute minimum.

Then again I go away motorcycling about weekends a year so I can come back and the gardens look fine where as the grass looks like a jungle.
Right now I am slowly planting out the 3 acres of verge with the intention that it will be self maintaining eventually.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with Bert on this one. Been mulching for the last 20+ years and my lawn looks so much better than those around me that my neighbor now pays me to do his. No need for fertilizer or watering, just a good mower and cut at the right time.