Bad taste in my mouth about Ferris

Pfireproof

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a new zero turn because my old one was starting to cause problems and I needed a reliable mower since I cut 5 acers, so I bought a Ferris 2100. Five months and 29 hours of operation later the belt broke. I called the dealer 3 months earlier and told them that I could a smell rubber burning from time to time and I thought the belt was awful tight. They assured me that nothing was wrong with it. A week and a half ago it broke, leaving me to hire someone to cut my 5 acers every 5-6 days. The dealer haven't even order the belt yet and gave me a estimate for the repairs for $300. Hmmm, seems the belts are not under warranty, imagine that. So, what caused the belt to break??? Will belts break every 29 hours of operation??? I'm thinking I bought the wrong mower.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Since thought the belt be it either the deck or belt was possibly too tight did you bother the check spring length per the owners manual?

Also the burning smell was a sign of either the belt rubbing somewhere or one the idler pulleys or other bearing might be failing. The broken should be analazied to determined what migh have been the problem. The broken belt will tell a lot about what went on before it broke.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Belts and blades are not warranty items in anything , including out vehicle .
As an owner you should be carrying certain spares one of which is always a replacement set of belts as a stick, stone or nut can get thrown up and cause it to break .
Otherwise as Star said there is a belt problem if you can smell it burning.
Now if you feel the dealer is not servicing you properly send a letter , written on paper to Ferris complaining ( politely ) about your dealer & the mower .

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Belts tires blades seats any wear item is not normally warrantable items. If something like and idler or spindle bearing locks up and takes the belt out they will warranty the belt as well.

bkeller500

Threads
If you smelled something burning, you knew something must be wrong.....that's the time to get down there and inspect for wear. You probably should have taken the belt off the PTO and spun the blades and pulleys to see if there was a drag or resistance. And to inspect where the rub was occurring. Not saying you did anything wrong but neither did your dealer. And maybe you did all that and just missed something. If you took the unit to the dealer and the dealer misses something, that's a different story.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a ferris 3100z with the 36hp engine. It has enough power to not bog the engine down in tall thick grass and can burn the belt up because it is slipping on the blade pulleys. Some dummy was mowing at full speed of 13mph in about 10 inch tall thick grass. Burned up a $135 belt.

bkeller500

Threads
$ 135 for a belt .....seriously? I'd look for a back up belt from V-Belt Supply or V Belts 4Less and see if they can find a substitute that will fit. Ouch!.

I burned a belt on a John Deere a few years ago and it was $55 from JD but only $18.00 from V-Belt Supply

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to the forum Pfireproof.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
$ 135 for a belt .....seriously? I'd look for a back up belt from V-Belt Supply or V Belts 4Less and see if they can find a substitute that will fit. Ouch!.

I burned a belt on a John Deere a few years ago and it was $55 from JD but only $18.00 from V-Belt Supply
Have you seen the price on a new Ferris mower these days? You can get a nice F-250 pickup for the same dough. It's a freaking lawn mower...... LOL