Bad boy outlaw extreme shutting off after about 1 minute of PTO being engaged

Sweatdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Bad boy outlaw extreme shutting off after about 1 minute of PTO being engaged
The simpliest method for you would be to disconnect the fuel line at the carb, or at the pump and then put a piece of fuel line in its place. Stick the open end into a container and have somebody crank the engine while you observe the fuel being pumped You should have a pulsating stream coming out of the hose that is the fuel diameter of the hose. If it trinkles out or otherwise seems slow it could be suspect providing you are getting fuel flow from the tank and not have a restriction.

If you have good flow then it is time to go into the carb. Pay special attention to the float valve seat. I have had several over the years were garbage builds up above the seat causing an inflow restriction.
I will try this if the carb cleaning failed to resolve the issue when testing tomorrow

Sweatdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Bad boy outlaw extreme shutting off after about 1 minute of PTO being engaged
Cleaning the carb was not the solution. I did pull the fuel hose off and cranked the engine. The fuel flow seemed very slow but I don't know what it is supposed to be.

Replace fuel pump?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cleaning the carb was not the solution. I did pull the fuel hose off and cranked the engine. The fuel flow seemed very slow but I don't know what it is supposed to be.

Replace fuel pump?
Should be a fairly consistent 1/4 inch stream coming out of the fuel pump when cranking. Dribbling out or very irratic could signal either a fuel pump problem, or an issue with the vacuum pulse line that moves the pump diaphragm or a fuel flow restriction from any place from the fuel pump intake to the outlet of the fuel tank.

BigBlueEdge

Threads
Also check for any fuel restrictions as mentioned above, such as: fuel pickup in tank clogged, fuel filter clogged, pinched fuel line, fuel tank cap vent plugged, etc.

ghielscher

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sometimes it's the simplest things that go wrong. Look for the most obvious solution again. Does your mower have a second fuel filter? My JD mower has a line filter near the tank and a canister-type filter near the engine. My line filter clogs (grass and dirt - don't know how that got in the tank) and the engine lugs down or dies when I start mowing - especially if I am going uphill. A new line filter always fixes it.

Sweatdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sometimes it's the simplest things that go wrong. Look for the most obvious solution again. Does your mower have a second fuel filter? My JD mower has a line filter near the tank and a canister-type filter near the engine. My line filter clogs (grass and dirt - don't know how that got in the tank) and the engine lugs down or dies when I start mowing - especially if I am going uphill. A new line filter always fixes it.
I don't believe it does. I will take a closer look. The fuel pump should be in today so i will update progress tonight

Freddie21

Threads
Check the tip of the anti-fire solenoid. I've seen a couple rubber tips get soft and swell. Blocks fuel past it. You can cut tip off for troubleshooting.

Sweatdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
appears to have some success. Changed the fuel, pump and the rate of fuel increased significantly. Mowed for about 5 minutes without issues before the mosquitos got the best of me. Will be running it for several hours tomorrow hopefully. Thank you everyone for the help.

jviews12

Threads
It is a shame you bought all those parts, at least i hope you saved the old ones. Sure, you have a fuel problem of gas starvation under load. Hope cleaning and not replacing fixed it. I assume new fresh gas and that hoses and old gas were removed and hoses blown out so that gas is not a consideration any more.

lugbolt

Threads
the fuel system has a supply side (everything from tank to pump) and the pressure side (pump to engine). Often we forget to look at the supply side. I've seen a ton of mowers with dirt/grass inside the tank which plugs the pickup tube, have seen a bunch of bad boys that had trash from the tank plug up the little tee between the tanks too. And quite a few with the old "liner" fuel line which disintegrates and plugs up everything (first gen epa compatible fuel line....JUNK). So don't forget fuel restrictions pre-pump.

on some of the outlaws i had issues with the relays under the RH side control panel. Again, whoever bad boy contracts with for the wiring harnesses, needs to have their head examined. That relay center is nonserviceable on a lot of them so if one relay goes south, you have to buy an entire harness. Dumb! But it makes it less expensive for them to build mowers, so....