Bachtold brush mower with B&S 8 hp engine

AndyBill

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a Bachtold brush mower I purchased from Country Home products in 1996. The B&S engine still runs like a champ, but the bearings in the spindle need replacement. That's the spindle on the deck with a pulley on top and the mower blade underneath. I took the spindle off the mower and removed the top and bottom nuts from the spindle. The pulley looks pressed on and I have no idea how to disassemble the spindle and bearings. I can get new bearings but I have no idea how to begin with this project. Is there anyone who can advise me? I can supply a picture of the spindle.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Go to the Dr Trimmer website and look for info or drawings. Or else, put up a pic or 2.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The pulley is most likely a tight fit/rusted on. It is a straight shaft type with a key. You may be able to use penetrating oil, and a puller to remove the pulley. Just don't over pull because most likely the pulley is cast iron. I have removed several over the years. if I remember correctly it is a 6204 bearing.

AndyBill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mr. Ilengine,
I finally got the assembly apart, but it took my 12 ton press to do it. Inside the spindle housing are two bearings. These bearings are pressed both into the housing and onto the spindle shaft. I pressed downward from the top. The bottom bearing was pushed out and as I kept pressing downward the pulley was pressed off as well. All that was left was the top bearing which I pushed out from the other end using a piece of 1-5/8" outside diameter pipe. Country Home Products is sending new bearings, but I would also like to have a spare spindle shaft in case the one I have breaks on a rock. Would anyone know how to obtain another spindle? I also do not know the step by step procedure for pressing on the bearings. There's probably a right and wrong way to do that. As already mentioned, they're pressed both onto the spindle shaft and into the housing. Please help if you are able. Thx AndyBill

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most likely the bearings are a tight fit, but shouldn't take a great amount of force to get everything back in place. After installing one of the bearings in the housing, The shaft may slide into the bearing far enough to get either the blade mount or pulley started, and then use the nut to pull the shaft through the bearing. but most likely a soft blow hammer, or rubber mallet should create enough force to get everything back together.