B&S Prof. 724cc and "ReadyStart"

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
44U777-0003-G1

Has thermostat choke system instead of a fully manually operated choke. Choke is still partially controlled by the control bracket. This set is reference on page 4/5 of the IPL along the control assembly and link on page 16/17.

BTW ILENGINE if you are a Briggs MST you should have access to the Power Portal which you could have easily found out the model number using the serial number. Also you won't find any thing on the Ready Start in the service because Briggs has failed to update their service manuals with this info. Otherwords the techs are let to figure this out ourselves.
I could of pulled the model number from the serial number It was just as easy for the OP to get it off of the valve cover also. And I prefer to used the interactive parts diagrams instead of the generic PDF that is included with the model/serial number lookup. So then I have to go to a separate site to use their diagrams.

waltben

Threads
Those of you saying to move the throttle to the choke position should know this thing has no such position. Either full fast or nothing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On a whim, I used my phone to read the code on that one label, which led me to a B&S website AND said that the model number is: 44U777-0003-G1! Does anyone have an idea as to why they did it this way???? Anyway, that's the model number.
Because those under 40 can not so much as fart unless there is an app on their phones to tell them when to do it.
The numbers you needed were quite clearly etched into the rocker cover as others have already mentioned.
From memory if you scan the QR code you then can get the parts manual downloaded into your phone.
So those under 30 who have a concentration span of 5 milli seconds can find out the numbers before they get bored & go buy a Honda.

waltben

Threads
44U777-0003-G1

Has thermostat choke system instead of a fully manually operated choke. Choke is still partially controlled by the control bracket. This set is reference on page 4/5 of the IPL along the control assembly and link on page 16/17.

BTW ILENGINE if you are a Briggs MST you should have access to the Power Portal which you could have easily found out the model number using the serial number. Also you won't find any thing on the Ready Start in the service because Briggs has failed to update their service manuals with this info. Otherwords the techs are let to figure this out ourselves.

Interesting. I was only given the Simplicity manuals (chassis and deck, no engine stuff) and the parts breakdown above. Nothing on the engine. The website the 2D code took me to had the operator's manual that has this:

ReadyStart® System
1. Check the engine oil. See the Check Oil Level section.
2. Make sure equipment drive controls, if equipped, are disengaged.
3. Move the fuel shut-off (A, Figure 5), if equipped, to the OPEN position.
4. Move the throttle control (B, Figure 5), if equipped, to the FAST position. Operate
the engine in the FAST position.
Note: For starting in cold weather temperatures (below 32° F), move the combination choke
and throttle lever (B C, Figure 5) to the CLOSED position.
5. Turn the electric start switch (D, Figure 5) to the ON or START position or push
button (E).

There is nothing on my mower but the single throttle, so I've no clue what that note means (pic attached).

ILENGINE, you were right and I just didn't make it out.

Poking around the carb, I did find what I believe to be the choke bell crank. It seemed to be stuck in one position, but when I nudged it, it rotated to another. I'll try starting it later this PM and see what happens.

DSCN0016.JPGDSCN0017.JPG

waltben

Threads
Here's the manual

Attachments

• Courier B&S Ops Manual.PDF
    996.3 KB · Views: 2

waltben

Threads
This is the bell crank I mentioned earlier, behind the float bowl. Just tried starting after pushing this thing upward, and it took off right away. The arm fell back down to where it is in this picture though. After stopping the engine it stayed down (even though it hadn't run long enough to warm up. It's almost like something's not hooked up right. Is the part just to the left of the arm the thermostat?

DSCN0013 marked.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think it is hooked up correctly but something may be binding causing the choke to stick in the open position. There is also an air vane next to the flywheel that opens the choke after the engine starts. the thermostat holds the choke open for warm restarts. So if you find what is sticking the choke open then you will have your problem solved.

waltben

Threads
Final question - is the choke supposed to be spring loaded to the closed or up position when the engine is not running and cold? If so, that's my problem as it is down and open, and not really stuck there.

AVB

Threads
With having an air vane and thermostat I would assume the choke return spring would closing it in the non running position with cold and up against the thermostat arm when warm or hot.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
When cold the choke return spring should hold the choke in the closed position. When the engine starts the air vane next to the flywheel uses air flow to open the choke. As the engine warms up the thermostat will move to hold the choke open when the engine is warm for warm no choke restarts.