B&S Pro 7.5HP OHV Plastic Cam Problem???

seagiant

Threads
Hi,
Have a friend that has this engine, sat awhile then would not start.

He took it to a shop, new carb, new gas tank, $200, good to go.

Ran it for 45 min. and stopped again.

He took it back to shop, they said the plastic cam had gone, both valves moving up and down TOGETHER!

He's mad of course, does not want to put more money into it.

Asked me if I want it, told him to wait, see what I can find out.

Saw where plastic cams are a problem and that corporate B&S may pay for the repair, even if out of warranty???????

Wondering if anyone here has info on this issue???

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've worked on countless briggs Quantum engines, which all use plastic cams, and have never had to replace a plastic cam. Like any other product that's ever been made, someone's going to get a lemon.
they probably don't have a higher failure rate than the metal 793880 camshaft in the 31 series engines.
not sure of the engine model number, the plastic cams new are anywhere from $20 to $50.

seagiant

Threads
Hi,
Thanks, I'm really a Honda Guy, and they not only use plastic cams but also timing belts and are solid engines!

I thought from what I've read that B&S had problems with the plastic cams, just trying to get peoples opinion, thanks again!

Oh yea, I don't have the model number but forgot to mention it is a Professional Series!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unfortunately you are in a zero sum game.
You will have to make a warranty claim through an authorised B & S agent
SO you will get hit with a minimum 1 hour of labour ( if not more ) if the claim is turned down and most are .
Then you will have to pay full price for the cam + more labour to get it fitted and $ 200 for a replacement carb & tank seems a little on the high side even more so when it looks like it was the cam all along .
Never had to replace a tank unless it was leaking
Replacing the carb is a 10 minute job .

seagiant

Threads
Hi,
Thanks, I'm a retired Marine Engineer, so know which end of the wrench to hold.

I told him if he got no satisfaction from B&S, that I would put a new cam in, IF that is the problem?

I would pull the bottom off the engine and take a look see first.

I heard the timing gear on the crankshaft was plastic also?

Just hate to see him spend more money for a new washer if we can fix this one?

Thanks again!