B&S Intek hard to start when hot.

deminin

Threads
I have a 15Yr. old Ariens self propelled walk behind mower that I only use 3 or 4 times a year to mow the weeds on a slope at the edge of the yard...to steep for the riding mower. This Ariens has a 6.5 B&S Intek engine, and when cold it starts and runs great. However, if I stop it for anything after a half hour...add gas, etc., it is Very Hard to restart. If I pull the air filter, it sound like the fuel is "boiling" in the carburetor. I have rebuilt the carb, and there is a fiber "spacer" between the carb and the cylinder, which I assume is supposed to act as a "heat sink", but nothing I've tried, so far, seems to cure the "Hot restart" condition. Any Ideas???

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Heat will kill the coils. I'm guessing the coil has transistor switching inside which will die at about 259F , industrial grade parts. Try icing it when it quits to see if it starts . If injured transistor you must replace. You should install a temp gauge on head and watch it to avoid problems. Search this forum.

deminin

Threads
Heat will kill the coils. I'm guessing the coil has transistor switching inside which will die at about 259F , industrial grade parts. Try icing it when it quits to see if it starts . If injured transistor you must replace. You should install a temp gauge on head and watch it to avoid problems. Search this forum.

Yes, I thought it might be an ignition problem, at one time. I hooked up a test light to the plug, one time when it was hot, and it seemed to get plenty of juice. Everything I've tried points to a flooding problem when the engine gets hot, and I shut it off for a couple of minutes. The "Boiling" sounds, at the carburetor, seems to be my best clue. It will start, after a dozen or more pulls, cough a bit, then settle in until I shut it off again. It's not big deal, as I don't use this old thing much, but it's just an aggravation that I'd like to resolve. I do have a spare coil off an old engine that shucked a rod some time back. Perhaps when I get a day with little to do, I may just see if that coil fits, and concentrate on the ignition aspect, and see if that helps. Thanks for responding.