B & S Intek 18hp won’t start this year – stuck valve?

TylerFrankel1

Threads
  • / B & S Intek 18hp won’t start this year – stuck valve?
I would try and check your valve clearances. My tractor wouldn't crank over (different problem but its worth a shot) and I overlooked the valves. Turns out they were something like .025 when they should have been like .004. They're notorious for getting out of adjustment on the Briggs Inteks

Joneebgood

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for all the suggestions! I apologize for my tardy response but I was away for a long weekend.

Yes, I can feel some movement in the carb solenoid when the key is turned off and on so that seems to be working.

It does have fresh gas but I have not yet changed the filter or plug. It has an Insta-fire MGD-89015 spark plug in it. What is a good number for a spark plug and what is the recommended gap?

Today I removed the crank bolt so I could see the keyway. It looks fine. The key is very square and located square in the keyway with no sign of shavings or distortion.

I pulled the plug and rotated to TDC with a screwdriver in the hole. On one stroke both valves remained closed and the valve clearance was .008/.009. On the other stroke the one valve closed at EXACTLY the same split second that the other began to open. At rest, both were ZERO valve clearance - tight! I assume this is normal?

I will change the plug and fuel filter but I really think this must be caused by a mouse eaten wire or something that is throwing off the spark? She swears it was running fine when she parked it last fall. Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
691043 is the OEM Briggs plug, champion 946 shows as a alternate.
with a gap at .030"
with the piston at Top dead center both valves closed, it should have the specified clearance, You only want one with no clearance as it pushes the valve down