B&S 5.5hp Quantum wont start

darnitbobby

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Murray performance 22in with a B&S 5.5hp Quantum motor. I rent my property and they provided me with this mower.

About 3 weeks ago I replaced the spark-plug, air-filter, and carburetor. I also replaced the gas in the tank and topped off the oil. After all of that the mower started no problem and I trimmed my lawn.

Fast forward to this morning I go to fire up the mower and it wont start. I drained all the old gas out of the tank and carburetor. Replaced with fresh gas from the station this morning and topped off the oil. Still it wont start. When I spray carburetor cleaner in the intake and pull the cord I can get it to turn over for about 2 seconds and dies when it burns it off.

I'm running out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be.

Thanks

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
post model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx & code numbers from engine, are you getting spark using spark tester at plug? you probably need to adjust valves to B&S specs. with engine cold.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/n...nemanuals.html?searchrequested=123k02-0232-e1

engine cold: intake valve 0.005-0.007, exhaust valve 0.007-0.009 page 9 in operators manual, remove spark plug & gently install a long screwdriver & touch top of piston, rotate top screen clockwise until both valves are closed, both rocker arms should be loose & piston should be at TDC plus 1/4", you are now ready to adjust valves.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc... b&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l2j69i59j0l2.16710j0j8

Last edited:

darnitbobby

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply.

Model: 226111x92a
Motor: 123k02 0232-e1 04010758

The plug is sparking because when I spray carburetor cleaner into the intake it will turn over for a few seconds. I will look into how to adjust the valves.

startrite

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply.

Model: 226111x92a
Motor: 123k02 0232-e1 04010758

The plug is sparking because when I spray carburetor cleaner into the intake it will turn over for a few seconds. I will look into how to adjust the valves.

Sounds like dirt blocking the float valve seat in the carburetor. You will need to clean out the gas tank and fuel line completely (not just dumping the old fuel out) as well as removing and cleaning out the float valve.