B&S 22hp twin 440000 series sputters and misses

Willard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sears replaced the first tractor. The second tractor started sputtering and missing like the first. They sent a tech, who replaced the carb. This lasted for two mowings. As advised, changed fuel filter, air filter and bought ethanol-free gas at $5 a gallon. I even bought a B&S gas can! Not as bad, once warmed up. Sputters at all RPM's. Is this the nature of the beast? Any suggestions? 725cc, 22 HP has 38 hours on it. Still under warrantee, but perhaps someone knows a better fix than replacing the carburetor.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sears replaced the first tractor. The second tractor started sputtering and missing like the first. They sent a tech, who replaced the carb. This lasted for two mowings. As advised, changed fuel filter, air filter and bought ethanol-free gas at $5 a gallon. I even bought a B&S gas can! Not as bad, once warmed up. Sputters at all RPM's. Is this the nature of the beast? Any suggestions? 725cc, 22 HP has 38 hours on it. Still under warrantee, but perhaps someone knows a better fix than replacing the carburetor.
:welcome:

Take it back. start sending emails so you have a paper trail to back up your warrantee claims.
Do not touch the engine or you will void the warantee.
Sounds like there is a problem with the cam, but that is for them to fix not you.

Willard

Forum Newbie
Threads
:welcome:

Take it back. start sending emails so you have a paper trail to back up your warrantee claims.
Do not touch the engine or you will void the warantee.
Sounds like there is a problem with the cam, but that is for them to fix not you.

Thanks. No doubt you are correct. Hard to believe that two in a row would have the same problem. I had a tractor with a Kohler engine that I beat to death cutting paths in the brush. It finally blew the side out of the engine because of loosened bolts I did not notice. However, it lasted 8.5 years. I've always seemed to have trouble with B&S. I don't know why. I've got another month on the warrantee. I poured Walmart gas treatment in it and that seem to stop it. I've installed a sleeve hitch, side handles and wheel weights. I'd hate to have to take all that off to put on a third tractor, but if it is defective, I guess I'll have to. Even though it is a rebadged Husqvarna, (cheaper too) they can't be blamed for the engine. They also use Kohler.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is a sad enditement on modern society that we demand everything we want must get cheaper every year.
We reward cheap junk makers by consumming the rubbish in vast numbers while the makers of good quality highly durable goods go broke due to insufficient sales.
Thus every year mowers get cheaper in more ways than the numbers on the price tag.