B & S 17.5 HP Problem

Auto Doc's

Threads
I have replaced a few camshafts due to a bad compression release mechanism, but most of the time owners don't want to fix them. I have 3 of them right now in my scrap mower collection.

I don't trust the replacement cams offered enough to invest the money and fix them myself. I have had too many repeat failures with these.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
They don't call them "Breaks and scrapem'" for nothing. If they break, scrap them, because they are not worth fixing because they will just break again.🤦🏼‍♂️

Auto Doc's

Threads
I have a lot of older Briggs & Stratton engines still going strong, most are the much older flat head design.

For longevity, I gotten the best life out of Kohler engines when it comes to riders.

Honda is a close second when it comes to other power equipment.

The way emissions laws are going, they may all be scrapyard bound in the near future

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thaks for the response. Yes, I have no problem there. On advice gained on this site I have adjusted the valves but the problem persists. I guess it is the compression release on the cam. When I start the tractor have been rotating the engine counterclockwise a ways and that allows it to get enough momentum to start.
I have a couple customers with bad cams on old craftsman mowers. Not worth having me put cams in them and i showed them the turn bsckwards till it hits compression and then it will crank. They think i am some kind of magician LOL