B&S 16hp Vanguard V twin not running on gas.

t8rt0tt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a mid 2000s briggs and stratton vanguard 16 hp that will not run.I have changed the plugs, changed the air filter, fuel filter and 3 different fuel pumps. I've cleaned out the carburetor, and even replaced the gasket on the valve cover, thinking that I wasn't getting a good seal and was losing vacuum pressure to run the fuel pump.When I spray starter fluid in the intake it starts and runs, and when I manually full the carb with gas it runs, until the fuel is gone.
What am I missing?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
So we need to find out if you're getting fuel flow TO the carburetor via the fuel line. Remove the fuel line and stick into a jar or something, as hopefully it will catch gasoline when you crank the engine over. When you crank the engine, the pump should pump fuel out, usually in spurts since the pump is diaphragm operated.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
and while you're in there, post the model and type number of the engine, Vanguard engines, usually stamped into the valve cover, or on a metal tag riveted to the blower/flywheel housing.

t8rt0tt

Forum Newbie
Threads
and while you're in there, post the model and type number of the engine, Vanguard engines, usually stamped into the valve cover, or on a metal tag riveted to the blower/flywheel housing.
Thanks for the starting point!

Alright, so I tested the pump and it did pump fuel. So that lead me to believe it is something inside the carb now. I opened the carb back up and cleaned the float and needle valve again. When doing so, I noticed there was some kind of rod going into the bottom of the carb assembly to a port that looks like it leads to the jet/straw. The other end of the rod went to a fitting outside the carb. When I loosened that fitting it drained my carb bowl and I pulled it out and realized that it was spring loaded and had a wire attached to it. Is this the kill switch that opens and closes to kill the fuel supply, and if so, could the actuator have stopped working making it so the carb doesn't supply fuel?

Also I have the model info:

Briggs and Stratton
Model: 303447
Type:1246-A1 4182
Code: 9602201

Here is the spec sheet:

t8rt0tt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also here is the info off the carb
6100 22-201
808238 5zz

I am going to go look up a manual for it now.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is the after fire solenoid
It is spring loaded closed and the wire should cause it to retract when energised by the key switch
If it has oly 1 wire then it needs a ground contact to work
On some engines there is a grund bridge strap that goes on a carb mounting bolt to give the carb a good ground
So holding it against a metal part of the engine see if it SNAPS back quickly when the key is turned on.
I often find that ground strap missing on older engines when the carb has been off a couple of times .

t8rt0tt

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is the after fire solenoid
It is spring loaded closed and the wire should cause it to retract when energised by the key switch
If it has oly 1 wire then it needs a ground contact to work
On some engines there is a grund bridge strap that goes on a carb mounting bolt to give the carb a good ground
So holding it against a metal part of the engine see if it SNAPS back quickly when the key is turned on.
I often find that ground strap missing on older engines when the carb has been off a couple of times .
That was what the problem was! The solenoid is no longer working. I took the whole solenoid assembly and tested it on a battery and it does not move. So I plugged the port in the carb with my finger and started the motor, and voila it runs! Now I just need to replace the solenoid. Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually they will clean up if you saturate the plunger wih carb cleaner and work it in & out
Being at the very bottom they both gum up and collect debris
I have only ever needed to replace 2 in 11 years
They are expensive little buggars wo worth while trying to clean
Some jut cut the plunger off
As it is an anti-pollution device this is illegal in most states
Should the plunger accidentially get broken off you have to throttle down count to 5 then turn off the engine or you will get a very loud bang from the exhaust .

t8rt0tt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Usually they will clean up if you saturate the plunger wih carb cleaner and work it in & out
Being at the very bottom they both gum up and collect debris
I have only ever needed to replace 2 in 11 years
They are expensive little buggars wo worth while trying to clean
Some jut cut the plunger off
As it is an anti-pollution device this is illegal in most states
Should the plunger accidentially get broken off you have to throttle down count to 5 then turn off the engine or you will get a very loud bang from the exhaust .
I will try to clean it up! I did find them on Amazon for like 13 bucks so I did order one that I will keep on the shelf in case it jams up again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Down here genuine ones are around $ 80 ( aus ) , the guaranteed to work Stens, Rotary , Prime Line & oregon ones are $ 30 to $ 50 .
Ebay & Amazon ones that are usually faulty sell for $ 15 to $ 30 .
So do not put any faith in the new one to fix your problems
Rember a deal that looks too good to be true usually is not .