B&S 125K09-0266-E1 Mageneto + Flywheel

eromlige

Forum Newbie
Threads
Briggs & Stratton: 125K09-0266-E1
Family: 2BSXS.1901VH 275260

OK, Having a hell of a time starting this beast. So, I decided to take a look.

I've removed:
1) Housing cover, Housing blower
2) Fuel tank
3) Magneto
4) Air Cleaner/Cover
5) Auto choke (having taken it apart yet)

Ok, so I did this because the "Touch-N-Mow" starter deal didn't seem to be properly meshing with the gear that I believe is on the side of the flywheel.
Which means that instead of the once nice positive spin up and start of the engine, I now get a sick plastic-ky .... BrrrrrraaaaaaPP! If the touch-n-mow starter is charged (has tension) when I try to start the mower. Which means I use the starting pull cord. Which is so stuck/bound that the flywheel barely turns.

So I take off the cover and notice that the flywheel actually contacts the magneto (one spot) and has worn grooves into the side of the flywheel.

First question, is this supposed to be this way? Does the magneto usually touch the flywheel as it spins?

So, now I figure, OK, at the very least I'll clean the carb (autochoke), replace the air filter before I put this back together.

Next question, is there a parts/repair manual somewhere with the specs? (float level, plug gaps, etc.)

So while the top of the engine was apart, I figured, let's try to spin the flywheel now. Well it's still pretty darn stiff, am I just wasting my time?

Well, thanks in advance for any input. I could use some help.

Oh, yeah, this thing was running like 2 days ago, and yes it took a looooooong time to get it to finally fire up.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
The coil should have a gap between the flywheel.
Use a business card and it should be close enough.

Has the blade come into contact with something hard to shear flywheel key which could vibrate and cause the coil to come into contact with the flywheel?

Operate OPC to then release flywheel brake to see if engine frees itself.

eromlige

Forum Newbie
Threads
Has the blade come into contact with something hard to shear flywheel key which could vibrate and cause the coil to come into contact with the flywheel?
Operate OPC to then release flywheel brake to see if engine frees itself.

That is a possibility. Sometimes un-noticed roots from various trees do pose an issue. I've reattached the magneto and did use a thin Teflon washer as a guide. I'm going to clean the auto-choke/carb and then re-attach it to the engine. I also replaced the spark plug and set the gap to .020.

Once the autochoke is back on, I'll attempt to pull start this guy. On another note, is it possible that the touch-n-mow starter/gear is out of spec? It is some type of plastic, maybe it's just worn in such a manner that it's no longer in alignment with the flywheel gear.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is a possibility. Sometimes un-noticed roots from various trees do pose an issue. I've reattached the magneto and did use a thin Teflon washer as a guide. I'm going to clean the auto-choke/carb and then re-attach it to the engine. I also replaced the spark plug and set the gap to .020.

Once the autochoke is back on, I'll attempt to pull start this guy. On another note, is it possible that the touch-n-mow starter/gear is out of spec? It is some type of plastic, maybe it's just worn in such a manner that it's no longer in alignment with the flywheel gear.

The gap and plug depends on the code of the engine.
Usually 0.030"
I dont think Briggs have produced touch and mow for a few years but i could be wrong as we dont see it over here anymore.

eromlige

Forum Newbie
Threads
The gap and plug depends on the code of the engine.
Usually 0.030"
I dont think Briggs have produced touch and mow for a few years but i could be wrong as we dont see it over here anymore.

You are correct and I am changing that in a bit. I think this one was Intek? I think.

Some manuals I found

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your model and type show it as probably a 675 series which is not intek.

If your code date is after 110630 then a champion RJ19LMC should be used and set at 0.020"
If before then a RJ19LMR should be used and set at 0.030".

eromlige

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your model and type show it as probably a 675 series which is not intek.

If your code date is after 110630 then a champion RJ19LMC should be used and set at 0.020"
If before then a RJ19LMR should be used and set at 0.030".

Where, prey-tell is this date code? All of the numbers I've found thus far:

Briggs & Stratton
Sticker on gas tank in rear
  • Family: 2BSXS.1901VH 275260
Metal portion above muffler
  • 125K09-0266-E1 04052558
Engine block behind/above muffler
  • 4146 05:29 A54

eromlige

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I got it all back together and starting was a bit easier after adjusting the magneto so that it doesn't contact the flywheel anymore. But of course, the auto-start, touch-n-mow feature is still broken. It seems it charges properly, when the OPC is released it's wound up. But when you pull all the levers for run time, the gear isn't meshing with the flywheel, so you just get a plastic-y braaaaaaaap!

I'll look into it later next week. Tomorrow, I mow.

Thanks for all the input pugaltitude it was helpful.