Average belt life?

Lawn Addict
Threads
bought it new, and it now has 130 hours on it, original belts but it is also only a year old.
I did an oil change at 50 hours...Meant to do another before now but been busy cutting and slacked off. I will do it monday. Probably time for a new air filter as well...changed it out when I did the oil change last.
You missed an Important oil change, The Early one to get all the debris out from all the new parts scrubbing together.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You missed an Important oil change, The Early one to get all the debris out from all the new parts scrubbing together.
Funny how people with mowers never change the oil proper. If I bought a new 0-turn at around 10 grand, I would READ the manual on oil dumps. These are not 18 wheeler oil sumps either with 30 quarts and a couple oil filters. Most are 1.5 quarts'ish possibly with a filter.

slomo

4getgto

Threads
While that's true he missed that mark so might just move on with good maintenance at this point.?
Keep changing it at a regular intervals (50 hrs) or so and should be good.
As far as belts go I have a Woods (Grasshopper) that's a 1997 model and 1100 hours running on all the original belts. Hope I didn't just jinx myself ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Slomo the Macks usually used 36 qts with one filter; unless they had the additional centrifuge filter. Some do, some don't. One particular one I serviced used 38 qts.

Most ZTRs here usually need two qts for the engine oil change as many have v-twins.

The hydros may or may not need the oil change at 500 hrs intervals just depends if they are design for oil changes or not. Sealed unit can stand the oil and filters changed but it requires the removal of the transaxle to do so as where when they use external filter the oil and filter can change while they are still mounted.

As for the belt life it is variable as the mowing conditions affects belt life more than just plain belt wear. Sticks for one damages the belts. Just check the belts every so often for their condition.

kale

Forum Newbie
Threads
An out-of-line pulley will quickly shorten the life of even a very good belt. Often the bracket on the tension pulley will wear due to the constant vibration allowing the pulley to become cocked and out of line. Usually, it's an easy repair. Also, sometimes the tension pulley is set too high or low causing the belt to ride against the side of the pulley. Buy a good quality belt; it pays in the long run.