ariens zoom 1634 wheel question

Luv2Trip

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all.
So I found an Ariens zoom 1634 with the Kohler motor with about 160 hrs on it on c/l for 500 bucks. Seems to run great but needs new rear tires. The tires on it are 18x6.50-8 and I would like to go to the wider 18x8.50-8. I saw on the ariens site that it was available with the 8.50" wide tires so I know it will accommodate them. I have looked and looked and not found my answers.

1. What are the chances that I could fit the wider tires on the rims that I have? I have not taken the tires off to measure the rims so I'm not sure the width of them.

2. If I go ahead and get the 8x7 rims to go with the new tires should they be offset? Centered?

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...
The tires will mount on your existing rims...
The wider tires Will need at least 1 inch of room on Both sides of your existing tires, so measure before you buy wider tires.
If you have the needed extra clearance, they will work.
I like wider tires, and mounting them on a narrow rim will roll the shoulders slightly in... That will be Perfect on any ZTR. A rounded shoulder 'helps' prevent turf damage. :smile:KennyV

Luv2Trip

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kenny,
Thanks so much. All reviews said that the 6.5" tire was just too narrow and caused lots of rutting so I was looking to widen out. Should have plenty of clearance since they offered the same mower with the 8.5" tires but I will measure to be sure. Just out of curiosity how will the rolled shoulder prevent lawn damage?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
A square shoulder is more likely than a rounded shoulder... You can damage turf with either... but it is easier to avoid damage with a rounded edge.... :smile:KennyV

mbunch907

Forum Newbie
Threads
A square shoulder is more likely than a rounded shoulder... You can damage turf with either... but it is easier to avoid damage with a rounded edge.... :smile:KennyV
How did this wheel swap work out for you? I am looking into making a change on my zoom 34. Thanks.