Ariens SportZoom 1232 blade always engaged

mbratch

Threads
I have an Ariens SportZoom 1232 I've had since 2004.

Just recently I noticed the blade does not stop if I turn off the PTO. I checked the PTO switch and it appears to be working properly. So I think this means the PTO clutch is stuck in the engaged state. That seems odd to me as I would expect typically if they fail, they fail with the coil de-energized which would disengage the blade.

Has anyone experienced this before? I thought I'd ask about before buying a replacement (and probably expensive) PTO clutch.

Thank you!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Clutch pulley end bearing failure can cause this.

mbratch

Threads
Clutch pulley end bearing failure can cause this.
Thank you! So in other words, what the service manual calls the "clutch spindle bearings", correct?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't know for sure as I don't have the service manual here but sounds right. IT just not shown as a separate on the 1232 that I looked up but I be looking the wrong one too.

THe one I look up the clutch is on the deck and not the engine. Kinda of an oddball setup.

mbratch

Threads
Don't know for sure as I don't have the service manual here but sounds right. IT just not shown as a separate on the 1232 that I looked up but I be looking the wrong one too.

THe one I look up the clutch is on the deck and not the engine. Kinda of an oddball setup.
Yep for sure. Thanks again! I'll contact Ariens to make sure I've identified the right part number. About 10 years ago the PTO clutch assembly was replaced under warranty with a different one, and I want to make sure that didn't change what bearing goes with it. They have record of that change.