Ariens snowblower boggs and wont throw snow far

tonyvisone

Threads
reynodston- thanks. ill check the valves and clean the carb more

kenny- awesome sight

how do i remove and install those welch plugs? pry out and hit it?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
how do i remove and install those welch plugs? pry out and hit it?

Drill a small hole in it screw a pointy screw into the hole and pry it out...
after cleaning things up, push the new one in and seal it,on the Outside Only, with any gasoline alcohol resistant sealer... KennyV

tonyvisone

Threads
ok ill give it a go 2moro or tuesday. thanks

tonyvisone

Threads
hey again guys.........

striped the carb down again, except the ENTIRE thing this time....
the other needle was dirty. most other stuff seemed good
got the welch plugs out, they seemed clean inside but i cleaned everything more with a wire bristle, carb cleaner and an air gun

i ran into a few quick questions, mainly about the float height (seems WAY too high)
and something else but i 4get what.

made another video, sorry lol

Ariens Snowblower :: Finalarienscarbcleanvideo.mp4 video by tonyvisone - Photobucket

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good video... The ridge on the needle can be a problem...
The kill wire when not attached Could have shorted out and not allowed it to start...
Make sure you don't have any air leaks when reassembling... :smile:KennyV

tonyvisone

Threads
kenny- thanks. maybe ill use the old needle for now since it is perfect condition.
for the kill wire, i just realized the problem. stupid mistake, but when i put it together i grounded it on the carb manifold bolt thinking it just needed to be grouned, before i realized how that switch worked
ill be careful of leaks
also, what is your take on the float height?
i got the new welch plugs in today, but i dont have any fuel proof sealer. how necessary is it? the videos i saw never mentioned it. let me know.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I had always set the top float parallel with the top of the carb...

As to the sealer... You can use paint or what ever you may have... there is a possibility you will not need anything, if it is air tight it will be Okay... :smile:KennyV

Willyvon

Threads
The global answer, one I have pursued with the various snow blower makers, is to abandon internal combustion motors in favor of battery electric power. It's happening "wholesale" with rotary mowing. Electric power systems are ENORMOUSLY simpler. In most cases simpler = more reliable. There is an Ariens battery electric 24" 2 stage blower as it so happens. Actually, it's the only battery electric on the market that I'm aware of. I imagine that what has kept the snow blower market so far behind the mower market is the cold weather performance of recheargable batteries.
I finally purchased my first snow blower this year after 28 years at this house in the Chicago suburbs. Having been firmly convinced about the prefer-ability of battery electric over internal combustion powered yard care equipment before then by ~ 7 years of happy use of a Neuton battery electric lawn mower. I opted for a corded electric since the Ariens is way bigger than I need, even for my 80' drive to the backyard garage on my 60' x 120' suburban lot and way more expensive than I could justify to myself at $1400-$2000.
:licking:There is what appears to be a growing plethora of corded electric snow blowers on the market today. I bought a Toro Power Curve 15 amp, 18" unit. It throws the snow perfectly for a single stage of any power form. The problem is the cord. It REALLY gets in the way of most efficient running pattern for the space to be cleared. I have pleaded with every maker I could contact for production of a battery electric (per use removable battery to accommodate the issue of deplettive nature of cold weather storage of rechargeable batteries). The solution exists with at least 50% of the battery electric mowers on the market as they have per use removable battery packs and equal power to that required in a single stage blower.