Ariens RT7020 7hp Tecumseh no start.

Walnut777

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry, I know it's a tiller, just hoping for some guidance model 901012.

I cant find a model number for the tecumseh 7hp engine. But heres the spill.
It belonged to my aunt and sentimental to me.
She said it ran when she parked it a few years ago.

I pulled the carb. Cleaned it and make sure it had flow in every port. Replaced the float and needle and gaskets and fuel lines. I did not move any screws.

It has fire when I lay the plug on the block.

I pulled the flywheel. I checked and had 8.44 reading when ohming out the leads.
I cleaned up the coil, the points looked great, they are set to .20 as stated on the housing. I cleaned the magnets on the flywheel. They are strong.

There are no breaks on any of the ground wires or plug wire.

It has compression. The valves aren't stuck.

I cleaned the plastic gas tank out.
It has non ethanol gas in it.

It wont even try to fire up with starter fluid right into the carb.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your engine is probably a Tecumseh model HH70. If you look very hard on the shroud, by the spark plug, you should be find the model and spec numbers. With the old points system I suspect you may have a bad coil or it is not timed correctly. The timing of these coils are very touchy and you need to know what you are doing or have exact tools. Plus, I doubt you measured the resistance of the primary and secondary windings correctly. Attached is a service manual, please carefully read chapter 8 and retest the coil. If you need more help, find the numbers and post back. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Te...P-4-CYCLE-L-HEAD-FLAT-HEAD-ENGINES-692509.pdf

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum!
Our Ariens section is a good place to start.
:)

Walnut777

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your engine is probably a Tecumseh model HH70. If you look very hard on the shroud, by the spark plug, you should be find the model and spec numbers. With the old points system I suspect you may have a bad coil or it is not timed correctly. The timing of these coils are very touchy and you need to know what you are doing or have exact tools. Plus, I doubt you measured the resistance of the primary and secondary windings correctly. Attached is a service manual, please carefully read chapter 8 and retest the coil. If you need more help, find the numbers and post back. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Te...P-4-CYCLE-L-HEAD-FLAT-HEAD-ENGINES-692509.pdf
Reading that I probably don't have the right tools.

I found all the numbers after a really good cleaning.
Ariens model 901012
Serial 004975

Engine HH70-140055D or Hh70-140056d. Cant make out if it's a 5 or 6 at the end.
Serial 1175D

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You will probably have to find a mechanic who has been around the block more than once. Any younger than forty will probably have never worked on the old Tecumseh ignition systems. If you know what you are going they are not that hard, just time consuming.