Arien's EZR 1648 cut looks terrible, striping

billkater

Threads
I am the original owner of my EZR1648 mower. In the last few years the cut has been getting worse and worse. I have replace belts (OEM), blades(OEM and Gator), springs, and bearings trying to get it to mow like it did when it was new. Nothing seems to help. It still leaves stripes in the yard where it isnt cutting.

My question here is, Is it possible there is a bad/wore sheave that is allowing the belts to slip? If so, how do I tell? I hate to start replacing sheaves when the cheapest one from jackssmallengines.com is $90. And this is the one for the 2 outside blades.

Mower Info

EZR 1648
model #915009
Serial #001211

I purchased it new 5-15-1999 for $3558.31.

Thanks for the help

Bill

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try moving sheaves by hand side to side and up & down, remove belts first. How clean is underside of deck? How long has it been since you replaced idler pulleys? Check air pressure in tires, jack up front end and check for worn out parts, is front axle cracked, bushings worn out, everything tight & secure?
Ariens Order Owners Manuals
Owners, parts, & service repair manual for your mower. If you still cannot find anything wrong, I would remove deck for thorough inspection as well as underside of unit with deck removed, SAFETY FIRST. Let us know what you find, thanks.

Last edited:

billkater

Threads
Try moving sheaves by hand side to side and up & down, remove belts first. How clean is underside of deck? How long has it been since you replaced idler pulleys?

I have checked sheaves. They have no up/down play or side to side. I replaced all.desk bearings this year. I clean the deck after each mowing. I replaced deck and Jack shaft to deck idler same time I did bearings. I have also replaced the springs on each one.