Export thread

Ariens Briggs & Stratton won't start.

D

D_H

I need help. I have an Ariens 20 horse 46" riding mower from 2012. It's ran like a champ every since I bought it new. Now, I started it up, pulled out of the garage and it died while I was driving it out of the garage and off the driveway and will not start back up.

Mower info:
Ariens: A20H46​
Product: 93605300​
Model: 96046002300​
Engine: Briggs and Stratton Intek with XRD 540cc -> 331777-1372-B1​

Things I've done since it died.
  • Put a new spark plug in it. [(Calls for Champion# RC12YC - obsolete) compatible NGK - BKR5E. 7938 is what I used.] I also found and bought Briggs & Stratton 5092 PN: 496018S.
  • Changed the oil and filter. (Briggs & Stratton oil PN: 100028, filter calls for B&S 492932 - obsolete, I used B&S PN: 842921.)
  • Checked the fuel solenoid (it is working).
  • Pulled the fuel line off of the carburetor. Fuel is going through the fuel filter and getting to the carburetor.
  • Sprayed a little starter fluid into the carb air inlet. Where the air filter attaches to.
  • Checked for spark. Getting spark to the plug.
  • I don't have a compression tester, but the engine sounds to be getting compression when it turns over. Sounds normal.
  • I don't see any frayed wires.

M

mechanic mark

Check air filter for replacement. Adjust valves with engine cold page 10 in Manual above. Make sure oil is on full mark on dipstick & gas tank is full with fresh fuel. You have wrong oil filter on engine page 13 in Parts Manual. You need oil filter 492932 .

D

D_H

I meant to post this in the Briggs and Stratton forum. Posted here by mistake. www.briggsandstratton.com is no help, that I can see. Didn't they sell to a Chinese company? I don't know.

H

hlw49

any Briggs oil filter will work.

B

bertsmobile1

This thread, all 10 pages of it is current in the B & S section
Please do not revive it here as we finally look like some results will eventuate on a problem that should have beed over & done with a long time ago .
any Briggs oil filter will work.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

All further replies please follow the link above to the current active thread as to not cause any confusion.