Ariens 52 inch zero turn tipping - counter weight question

Tammy7045

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Ariens 52 inch zero turn tipping - counter weight question
Hello, I have an Ariens Ikon 52inch zero turn. Works great, I have had to problem with hills, even the more steep over 30%.
I just purchased the power bagger and had it installed and now the mower pops wheely's on all the hills I have been
doing without any problem. The counter weights are installed, but they just are not enough. Is there anything I can do?
Can I add more weight? This is quite depressing as my push mower does not mow as high and I will burn my grass out
if I have to start doing these areas with my push mower again. Any suggestions is appreciated.
Unfortunately, the business that I purchased my mower is a bunch of incompetent boobs that can't give me a straight
answer.
Thank you in advance

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Only mow down hill then drive up blades off.
Adding weight will cause the mower to cut lower because it is heavier but you can add more if you like.
The big problem with tossing wheelies is the engine oil runs to the cylinder end of the engine and you can end up with a no oil / low oil pressure situation which in extreme cases will size the engine and in lesser cases will cause excessive wear.
ZTR's and hills do not mix
Vertical shaft engines and hills do not mix .

Tammy7045

Forum Newbie
Threads
Only mow down hill then drive up blades off.
Adding weight will cause the mower to cut lower because it is heavier but you can add more if you like.
The big problem with tossing wheelies is the engine oil runs to the cylinder end of the engine and you can end up with a no oil / low oil pressure situation which in extreme cases will size the engine and in lesser cases will cause excessive wear.
ZTR's and hills do not mix
Vertical shaft engines and hills do not mix .
Thank you for your response... I am hoping adding some more weight to the front will help. I have tried mowing just down hill as you have suggested and the steering has been off. First it would pull to the left when I would go down hill and try to turn sideways, I took it in for service to correct and now the handles were pushed far out and it turns to the right.
I wish there was a repair guy that would come to your house and fix your problem in your environment. The service guy didn't even know if I had the right bagger on my mower, ridiculous.
If you are a specialty dealer, your techs should know that mower in and out. Thank you for your suggestion, I appreciate it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only ZTR's that behave on hills are the ones with a steering wheel.
Toro & Cub Cadet used to do one but I think Toro have discontinued theirs.
They work well till the steering jams then they are a big problem to fix
Apart from that you would be better off with a tractor style mower where the weight distribution is better between the front & back
When ZTR's were new the handles were balanced so pushing them the same distance caused the mower to move in a dead strait line.
There were complicated springs to adjust to get them to track true but these were dropped to cut costs and because in reality they did not work
On the concrete car park push the bars full forward go 30' then pull full back & you end up exactly where you started.
Do the same on flat level dry grass and you will end up anywhere from 6' either side or front back of where you started.
That is the nature of steering by individual independent driving wheels.
Going up or down then you should only go dead strait, trying to drive across a slope will cause the mower to drift sideways , this is inherit to the nature of ZTR's
And turning on slopes is a very tricky thing to do made even more difficult to control by the addition of a bagger.

Now the $ 20,000 question .
Do you really need to have the slope grassed ?
Steep slopes are always best landscaped or planted out with low bushes then toss buckets of wild flower seeds over the lot once the bushes have established .
You then have a beautiful ever changing outlook with almost no need to be touched .
The crowded cottage garden style has a lot going for it .

Tammy7045

Forum Newbie
Threads
We have already turned some of the areas that had a steeper slope into retaining walls. I have mowed these areas for the past 11 years just fine. It is the bagger that is causing the
issue here. Where I live all our lawns have some kind of steep incline and I see lawn care companies with ZTR's do these with no problem.
I just need to figure out how to add more counter weight to the font as the front design does not allow to place additional plates on top.
I will work on adjust the handles myself as the service department is not taking into account I am a woman and my arm reach is not the same.
Thanks again :)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
All equipment can be modified for a particular just got understand it will no longer a factory finished design. Just takes someone that engineer a working solution.

Ever seen tractor that have been redesign with huge counter weights so they can mow hills side ways? Still dangerous as heck but the turn over risk is less.

You have been lucky use the Ariens so far for the last 11 yrs so just adding more weight to counter balance the bagger should work. Personally I rather use mulching blades and leave the clippings on the lawn as a natural fertilizer.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You see a ZTR from a distance but you don't see what the operator is doing or how it has been modified.
You also should have noticed they were not mowing with an Ariens Ikon, for very good reasons .
Contractors use ZTR's because they can mow faster with them and time is money, that extra 1 or 2 lawns a day is a lot of profit at the end of the season.
They just weight up the risk vs the profit .
I have modified a few ZTR's so they will work on customers lawns including fitting bigger diameter wheels , wider wheels, square shouldered tyres and tyres with a more open tread , a lot counter weights and solid front casters.
All of these were so the customers can mow slopes steeper than the mower was designed to cut on.
I have also replaced a dozen or more engines because the customer was mowing slopes steeper than the mower was designed to cut .
ZTR's are carefully designed to have 10-20 lbs of downforce on the front casters constantly.
When you shove a bagger on the back that reduces the downforce which allows the mower to wander so wheel weights or foot board weights are added .
However the problem is the amount of weight from the bagger is constantly changing so when it is empty the caster wheels will tend to dig trenches in soft grass and when the bagger is full, particularly with ( mainly men ) people who compress the grass in the bag cause they only have 1 or 2 more runs to do the down force on the front wheels can be less than 0 .

This tends to play havock with the bearings on the axel & the pivot unless it is a commercial mower with tapered roller bearing .
It also tends to bend the caster yokes which makes the mowers really difficult to steer.

When it is all said & done, it is your mower , your yard & your body so you have to make up your mind as to what you want to do with it and how much risk to both the machine and yourself you are willing to live with.

We have all been brainwashed into believing that a garden is a massive mill stone around our necks that will cost a fortune & consume every free second of our time and lawns just take care of themselves with minimal effort when it is the exact opposite .
Down here real estate agents will get people to bulldoze their garden & replace it with turf because that will add at least 20% to the sale price and make for a faster sale which from what I have seen locally that would appear to be correct .
Just about every one of my customers have increased the amount of garden & reduced the amount of lawn following suggestions from myself .
Every one of them never stop thanking me for making them aware that gardens are lower maintenance than grass .
Many of them who were formally slaves to their property are now enjoying it
Those who used to bag now mulch except for the ones who became very keen gardeners who catch in order to make mulch & compost

bkeller500

Threads
Could you begin your mowing with the bags empty and do the berm first? Could also add some additional weights to the front when you do the berm then remove them for the remaining lawn? I have seen some ZT's with an add-on front bar and suitcase weights that can easily be removed. You might need to modify for installation but it's a option.