Are the new ZT3400 drive units as reliable as the separate pump/wheel motors?

CurtisG

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Are the new ZT3400 drive units as reliable as the separate pump/wheel motors?
As a homeowner mowing 4+ acres, are the newer drive units, such as the ZT3400, as reliable as the separate pump/wheel motors? I have previously owned a 52" Dixie Chopper ZTR that lasted 11 years without any hydraulic problems, finally gave it to my nephew. Purchased a Ferris 48" ZTR in '05 and still currently using it, also without any hydraulic problems after more than 500 hrs. Both had/have separate hyd. pumps and wheel motors on them. In looking around at the new ZTR mowers it seems that most are now using the combo pump/wheel motor units. Both were/are commercial grade mowers. Not ready to replace the Ferris yet, I really like the suspension springs/shocks on it, but enjoy looking at the new models. Just wondering..........
Curt:confused:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Are the new ZT3400 drive units as reliable as the separate pump/wheel motors?
As a homeowner mowing 4+ acres, are the newer drive units, such as the ZT3400, as reliable as the separate pump/wheel motors? I have previously owned a 52" Dixie Chopper ZTR that lasted 11 years without any hydraulic problems, finally gave it to my nephew. Purchased a Ferris 48" ZTR in '05 and still currently using it, also without any hydraulic problems after more than 500 hrs. Both had/have separate hyd. pumps and wheel motors on them. In looking around at the new ZTR mowers it seems that most are now using the combo pump/wheel motor units. Both were/are commercial grade mowers. Not ready to replace the Ferris yet, I really like the suspension springs/shocks on it, but enjoy looking at the new models. Just wondering..........
Curt:confused:

CurtisG,

All I can say is I hope so!!!!:0) Since I just purchased a 2012 Gravely Pro-Turn 152 that has the HydroGear ZT-3400 trannies. You're right, though, the unitized trannies dominate the ZTR market although there are still a few Exmarks, Scags, Toros, Grasshoppers and Gravelys with the separate pumps/motors(most all of them the very high-end/high-dollar models). All of the salesmen tried to convince me that the separate units had more hydraulic lines and were easier to develop leaks, but that doesn't sound like the experience you've had with the DC & Ferris. I'm curious as to what kind of feedback you will get from users who have owned both and can give an un-biased opinion. This was my first ZTR, so I had to go with what all of the dealers were telling me(as well as my financial advisor.....aka the wife, who advised me on "how much" I could spend on this new big boy toy:0)

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
CurtisG,
Another thread discussing the unitized trannies versus the separate pumps & wheel motors got me to looking for models that still use the separate units. What I found(using the Gravely I bought, but I'm certain you will find in other brands) was that the entry-to-high end Residential units have the HydroGear EZT(entry ZT model), ZT-2800(ZT XL model) and ZT-3100(ZT HD model) trannies; the entry-to-middle class Commercial units will sport the HydroGear ZT-3400(Pro-Turn 100 like mine) and then the ZT-5400 as you move up(the Pro-Turn 200 & 400 models). When you get into the "real Commercial" units(like the Pro-Master and Pro-Ride) that is where you will get into the separate Hydrogear pumps and Parker wheel motors. But with the separates you also find yourself in the $10k-$11k price range too:0( I think what you will find is that maybe when you bought the Dixie Chopper and Ferris the separates dominated the market therefore were on more "affordable" ZTR's but now to get the separates most "homeowners" won't be willing to spend what the models that have them cost. I know I'm pretty happy with my Gravely for < $7k and my Financial Advisor(aka, the wife) would have rejected a request to buy a $10k-$11k "lawn mower":0)

CurtisG

Forum Newbie
Threads
Djdicetn---Thanks for the replies, Looks like the combo drive units (ZT series) will eventually take over the market. More of the manufacturers are now using them. I can see the probability of less problems with them over the separate pump & motor drives. However I have never had a problem with either of mine. Your purchase of the Gravely seems to be a great buy, two neighbors of mine have Gravely mowers and seem very satisfied. When I purchased my first ZTR, the Dixie Chopper, about 17 years ago, I paid $5300.00, which was a large amount back then, then the Ferris 6 years back, I paid $5700.00 which was a good price for a commercial unit. I hope to keep the Ferris for a number of years before I replace it, unless something major fails. The Dixie had a Kohler engine and the Ferris has a Kawasaki, never a moments problem with either one. I do keep up the maintenance myself, doing all the work, never had either back to the dealer. I have had to replace some of the idler pulleys on both units because of failed bearings, along with the drive belts, which is from normal wear. Good maintenance is the key to long life.
Again thanks for the replies,
CurtisG:smile:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Djdicetn---Thanks for the replies, Looks like the combo drive units (ZT series) will eventually take over the market. More of the manufacturers are now using them. I can see the probability of less problems with them over the separate pump & motor drives. However I have never had a problem with either of mine. Your purchase of the Gravely seems to be a great buy, two neighbors of mine have Gravely mowers and seem very satisfied. When I purchased my first ZTR, the Dixie Chopper, about 17 years ago, I paid $5300.00, which was a large amount back then, then the Ferris 6 years back, I paid $5700.00 which was a good price for a commercial unit. I hope to keep the Ferris for a number of years before I replace it, unless something major fails. The Dixie had a Kohler engine and the Ferris has a Kawasaki, never a moments problem with either one. I do keep up the maintenance myself, doing all the work, never had either back to the dealer. I have had to replace some of the idler pulleys on both units because of failed bearings, along with the drive belts, which is from normal wear. Good maintenance is the key to long life.
Again thanks for the replies,
CurtisG:smile:

Curtisg,
I agree that maintenance and normal wear & tear repairs is what I'm hoping for with my Gravely(I'm retiring in October, 2013 and I figured getting a Commercial ZTR and taking care of it would result in a machine that wouldn't nickel & dime me to death during retirement and would outlive me:0)
I started out with a $5k-$6k "budget", but soon discovered that buying a new "Commercial quality" ZTR for $6k or less was just not going to happen. So I got approval from the Financial Advisor(aka, the wife) to move the bar up to $7k and I ended up in the Gravely Pro-Turn 152 for $6,800 out-the-door. I'm still very happy with that deal as the MSRP on the 2012 was $7,199 plus tax and the same model for 2013 went up $300 to $7,499. I'm glad I bought when I did last fall, just before the 2013 models came out!!!