Are John Deer engines (Yanmar) reliable/durable?

rigoletto

Threads
People,

Need a new rider mower, I guess 42" cutting is about standard. Looking at a Deer. Had an MTD for 27 years and its Tecumseh engine would never quit. Most other mowers offer a B&S and I hear they are not that great(?). Also, I understand it is a diesel, not gas. Is diesel a smart option? And the 2 pedals- does one have to depress them ALL the time during mowing? Opinions appreciated on this subject. ( I have a 2 acre yard)

Which 42" mower would you buy, if you were in my situation?

Bertrrr

Threads
I would get a ZTR with a Kohler or Kawasaki twin cylinder engine , Been using Bad boys for years with no problems, Not a fan of Kubota mowers might be just me but the ones I've had to work on were harder to service than the bad boys or Huskys

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
People,

Need a new rider mower, I guess 42" cutting is about standard. Looking at a Deer. Had an MTD for 27 years and its Tecumseh engine would never quit. Most other mowers offer a B&S and I hear they are not that great(?). Also, I understand it is a diesel, not gas. Is diesel a smart option? And the 2 pedals- does one have to depress them ALL the time during mowing? Opinions appreciated on this subject. ( I have a 2 acre yard)

Which 42" mower would you buy, if you were in my situation?
You aren’t getting a Yanmar Diesel engine in a residential riding mower.

rigoletto

Threads
You aren’t getting a Yanmar Diesel engine in a residential riding mower.
Good to now, Thanks, Mpar. Not sure why that site mentioned diesel..........

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe that Briggs and Stratton makes the single cylinder engines for the 100 Series.
Kawasaki makes the V-Twins.

rigoletto

Threads
I believe that Briggs and Stratton makes the single cylinder engines for the 100 Series.
Kawasaki makes the V-Twins.
Is B&S respected or is Kawasaki the better grade?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is B&S respected or is Kawasaki the better grade?
My sister inherited my dad’s John Deere D100 with a 17.5 B&S engine. It’s at least 20 years old and still running. The deck has been replaced once. If maintained properly, it should give good service.
Better grade? They are residential engines.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
My sister inherited my dad’s John Deere D100 with a 17.5 B&S engine. It’s at least 20 years old and still running. The deck has been replaced once. If maintained properly, it should give good service.
Better grade? They are residential engines.
A Yanmar diesel engine is a strong engine.
I prefer Kawasaki and Kohler over Briggs and Stratton. They all have their good and bad points.
A 48” deck for 2 acres is about right. Should take about an hour or so to mow.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
A Yanmar diesel engine is a strong engine.
I prefer Kawasaki and Kohler over Briggs and Stratton. They all have their good and bad points.
A 48” deck for 2 acres is about right. Should take about an hour or so to mow.
Yes, the Yanmar engine is very good. However, I don’t think that the OP is looking for a compact tractor or commercial zero turn.
I also agree that a 48” lawn tractor or zero turn would be better for two acres. That puts him on a John Deere with a Kawasaki V-Twin.