Apple cake-yum!

littleAudrey

Threads
I've just made an apple sponge from the apples off the tree in our garden and it's sitting in the kitchen cooling. I love having a garden where I can sit out on a sunny day and grow stuff to eat, don't you?:licking:

TedBeal

Threads
I surely do, having turned half of my garden into a vegetable patch although I still have a large enough lawn to mow to my heart's content. My choice would be apple pie though. I am very partial to one of those!

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Our neighbor has several apple trees and they gave us a few bags of apples a couple of months ago. Sure made for some delicious apple pies.

Of course, these are California apples and from San Diego, so they don't get as sweet as the apples do in colder climates. Where I grew up (in New York), after the first frost of the year, the apples would increase in sweetness quite a bit. Well, there's one fruit that grows better in New York than California. :wink:

I agree, it's great when you grow your own food and get to enjoy it. Always seems to taste that much better when you grow it yourself.

Flossie

Threads
The apple treats sound great. I am not much of a baker but I started experimenting with jam making last year and am now quite good at that. It's a handy way to use up extra fruit and lets me be creative with flavors.

littleAudrey

Threads
It's nice to have neighbors that share isn't it? When all the apples off our tree were finished the man next door brought round a bag from his trees. I made him an apple cake as a thank you. I'll have to look into jam making next year and maybe give jars away at Christmas time instead of buying presents! :smile: